Post: What to do when your Playstation 3 won’t read discs/Blu Ray Drive Fails
02-09-2010, 12:50 AM #1
Mateen
pretty chill guy
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); What to do when your Playstation 3 won’t read discs/Blu Ray Drive Fails

By Mateen
Don't steal this and claim as your own work, I worked hard on it. Give credit.

I have been through this three times, and it has been a pain. So hopefully this tutorial/guide will help you out a bit. So what happens when your PS3’s BD fails? Well, obviously it won’t read discs, and if it does, it is usually for a short period of time, before it locks up. You are probably bummed out, but don’t worry, we will get it up running soon.

You always want to make sure it isn't just the game! Try MULTIPLE discs that you have.

So first thing first, you want to backup ALL data, it is always a good idea.

Prep

Fortunately, sometimes you can fix this issue by doing a full restore of your PS3. Don’t ask me why, but this has worked for friends, and many others. Make sure you do the full 3 hour one, not the one that takes a few minutes. If that didn’t work, your issue is definitely hardware related.

Option 1

If you have a warranty, go ahead and send it to Sony, this is the best option as it is Free! But, chances are you don’t have a receipt, or it has been over a year. Keep in mind that you can still send it in for Sony for $150 if you are out of warranty.…and they will send you a refurbished unit w/ a 90 day warranty.

If you don’t want to send it to Sony, there are alternatives..
Anything beyond this point will void your warranty! (Chances are you are already out of it anyway Winky Winky)

Option 2

I would recommend you open your PS3 up and clean the lens a bit. Use a cue tip with a tad bit of rubbing alcohol.

If you don’t know what you are doing, or don’t want do mess anything up, then DON’T DO IT! I can’t stress this enough, if you aren’t good with these types of things, your best bet is to go with Sony’s $150 replacement.

Option 3
Now cleaning the lens didn’t work, you will need a new Blu-Ray Drive assembly. Here is a chart for what you need to buy. Just ebay/google the your KEM part #. You can find these parts for about $70-$80 shipped.
You must login or register to view this content.

Option 4
Sell your PS3 as-is on ebay, collect your losses, and get a slim for $299.

So to summarize

1)Restore your PS3- (if that doesn’t work)
2)Send to Sony if you are in warranty ($0)
3)Clean your lens (if that doesn’t work)
4)Replace the part (if you don’t want to do that) ($70-$80)
5)Last Resort is Send it to Sony for $150.
6)If you have a Fat PS3, I would sell that As-Is and buy a slim.

If you have an questions, PM me, or post them here. I will try to help you out to the best of my ability.

If you found this useful, please rep/thank.
Last edited by Mateen ; 02-09-2010 at 01:03 AM.

The following 20 users say thank you to Mateen for this useful post:

-Google-, adot401, Alfa, Bush., DieSchnelle_, drunkenrepublicn, forcer911, GRP Spartan 983, Hells, himpmund, K-oTiC_GuNNeRz, keithfin, l)ickToo$hort, MRrizlaking, naruto1, Nickm0117, pdx642, remember me?, Step76, tenerifekid
10-12-2010, 05:41 AM #56
i have one slim that work greta, and i have one 40gb that is the second time whit yeloww ligth.
10-12-2010, 11:55 AM #57
throw it out
10-13-2010, 07:48 PM #58
I just used some alcohol to clean the lens.
Worked like a charm
10-13-2010, 08:14 PM #59
i have a ps3 with the blue ray problem.. i did the restore but not the 3hour one.. i should try this now & see
10-15-2010, 04:23 AM #60
Originally posted by Mateen View Post
What to do when your Playstation 3 won’t read discs/Blu Ray Drive Fails

By Mateen

I have been through this three times, and it has been a pain. So hopefully this tutorial/guide will help you out a bit. So what happens when your PS3’s BD fails? Well, obviously it won’t read discs, and if it does, it is usually for a short period of time, before it locks up. You are probably bummed out, but don’t worry, we will get it up running soon.

You always want to make sure it isn't just the game! Try MULTIPLE discs that you have.

Prep

Fortunately, sometimes you can fix this issue by doing a full restore of your PS3. Don’t ask me why, but this has worked for friends, and many others. Make sure you do the full 3 hour one, not the one that takes a few minutes. If that didn’t work, your issue is definitely hardware related.

Option 1

If you have a warranty, go ahead and send it to Sony, this is the best option as it is Free! But, chances are you don’t have a receipt, or it has been over a year. Keep in mind that you can still send it in for Sony for $150 if you are out of warranty.…and they will send you a refurbished unit w/ a 90 day warranty.

Anything beyond this point will void your warranty! (Chances are you are already out of it anyway Winky Winky)

Option 2

I would recommend you open your PS3 up and clean the lens a bit. Use a cue tip with a tad bit of rubbing alcohol.

If you don’t know what you are doing, or don’t want do mess anything up, then DON’T DO IT! I can’t stress this enough, if you aren’t good with these types of things, your best bet is to go with Sony’s $150 replacement.

Option 3
Now cleaning the lens didn’t work, you will need a new Blu-Ray Drive assembly. Here is a chart for what you need to buy. Just ebay/google the your KEM part #. You can find these parts for about $70-$80 shipped.

Option 4

So to summarize

If you have an questions, PM me, or post them here. I will try to help you out to the best of my ability.

ok heres my problem, don't know if anyone can help...
my ps3 turns out then freezes without even going in a game...
tried to restore it with all option in recovery menu.. and still no sucess...

after it has frozen a couple of times... it doesn't even show image anymore...
would really want to fix this issue since I don't have much money and can't buy a new slim one!

so please message me if you think you might have a solution
10-15-2010, 11:28 PM #61
return if still in warranty
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM #62
Dreamcather
Call me Eddie Winky Winky
nice this is gonna help a lot of people!
10-22-2010, 10:46 PM #63
I find that the best way to fix a failing Blu-Ray player is:

Power cycle the ps3 - put it on stand by and then unplug the power cable.

Find a hammer (any size) - Hit the back of the ps3, somewhere between the HDMI port and the Ethernet port. (the scale of the hammer determines how many hits required, eg. sledge hammer = one hit, toffee hammer = 40-50 depending on age and gender)

Go to your nearest gaming retailer and buy a new ps3.
11-08-2010, 12:15 AM #64
how much is a fat ps3 worth wer it dont read disks

Originally posted by Mateen View Post
What to do when your Playstation 3 won’t read discs/Blu Ray Drive Fails

By Mateen

Prep

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

So to summarize

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo