Post: What to do when your Playstation 3 won’t read discs/Blu Ray Drive Fails
02-09-2010, 12:50 AM #1
Mateen
pretty chill guy
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); What to do when your Playstation 3 won’t read discs/Blu Ray Drive Fails

By Mateen
Don't steal this and claim as your own work, I worked hard on it. Give credit.

I have been through this three times, and it has been a pain. So hopefully this tutorial/guide will help you out a bit. So what happens when your PS3’s BD fails? Well, obviously it won’t read discs, and if it does, it is usually for a short period of time, before it locks up. You are probably bummed out, but don’t worry, we will get it up running soon.

You always want to make sure it isn't just the game! Try MULTIPLE discs that you have.

So first thing first, you want to backup ALL data, it is always a good idea.

Prep

Fortunately, sometimes you can fix this issue by doing a full restore of your PS3. Don’t ask me why, but this has worked for friends, and many others. Make sure you do the full 3 hour one, not the one that takes a few minutes. If that didn’t work, your issue is definitely hardware related.

Option 1

If you have a warranty, go ahead and send it to Sony, this is the best option as it is Free! But, chances are you don’t have a receipt, or it has been over a year. Keep in mind that you can still send it in for Sony for $150 if you are out of warranty.…and they will send you a refurbished unit w/ a 90 day warranty.

If you don’t want to send it to Sony, there are alternatives..
Anything beyond this point will void your warranty! (Chances are you are already out of it anyway Winky Winky)

Option 2

I would recommend you open your PS3 up and clean the lens a bit. Use a cue tip with a tad bit of rubbing alcohol.

If you don’t know what you are doing, or don’t want do mess anything up, then DON’T DO IT! I can’t stress this enough, if you aren’t good with these types of things, your best bet is to go with Sony’s $150 replacement.

Option 3
Now cleaning the lens didn’t work, you will need a new Blu-Ray Drive assembly. Here is a chart for what you need to buy. Just ebay/google the your KEM part #. You can find these parts for about $70-$80 shipped.
You must login or register to view this content.

Option 4
Sell your PS3 as-is on ebay, collect your losses, and get a slim for $299.

So to summarize

1)Restore your PS3- (if that doesn’t work)
2)Send to Sony if you are in warranty ($0)
3)Clean your lens (if that doesn’t work)
4)Replace the part (if you don’t want to do that) ($70-$80)
5)Last Resort is Send it to Sony for $150.
6)If you have a Fat PS3, I would sell that As-Is and buy a slim.

If you have an questions, PM me, or post them here. I will try to help you out to the best of my ability.

If you found this useful, please rep/thank.
Last edited by Mateen ; 02-09-2010 at 01:03 AM.

The following 20 users say thank you to Mateen for this useful post:

-Google-, adot401, Alfa, Bush., DieSchnelle_, drunkenrepublicn, forcer911, GRP Spartan 983, Hells, himpmund, K-oTiC_GuNNeRz, keithfin, l)ickToo$hort, MRrizlaking, naruto1, Nickm0117, pdx642, remember me?, Step76, tenerifekid
11-08-2010, 05:00 AM #65
rockz
Custom User Title
My ps3 had a disk stuck inside it, and when I pressed the eject button, the blue LED flashes but there is no disk spinning or ejecting. It also doesn't recognise the disk. I'm not really sure what to do now as the board can still play demos, but the mechanics inside are shot.
11-16-2010, 01:05 AM #66
This will help a lot people... Starting from me:puke:
12-09-2010, 06:16 AM #67
oilers664
Chea Bro
Originally posted by rockz View Post
My ps3 had a disk stuck inside it, and when I pressed the eject button, the blue LED flashes but there is no disk spinning or ejecting. It also doesn't recognise the disk. I'm not really sure what to do now as the board can still play demos, but the mechanics inside are shot.

Take your PS3 apart and remove the disc.

Also, I'm doing the full 4 hour restore system to an old PS3 that I have that won't read discs, if it works I'm going to be so happy Happy
12-12-2010, 05:30 PM #68
x-MaGiiKZz-o
Who’s Jim Erased?
that happened to me and i restored it and it worked Smile thanks for the other options though, that might help me in the future Happy
12-30-2010, 09:02 AM #69
this has been happening since i put black ops in ;/
12-31-2010, 12:08 AM #70
Well to start off my PS3 wont read any game discs but reads dvds just fine. At first I thought my blu-ray was f'n up but as I kept playing around with the system I found that it will read game discs only if I start up 1 of the downloaded games on my system first. My system was working jus fine until one of those netflix DVD's came to my home n I popped it in. After that was when my system stopped readin game disc when u first put it in....
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM #71
Step76
Keeper
wont steel it...promise! ;-)

nice work!
01-04-2011, 09:36 AM #72
spid9
Do a barrel roll!
very useful, thanks for this!
01-06-2011, 12:45 AM #73
My Blu-Ray Drive is broken too.
****ing Sony, why is there just one year warranty >.< :bat: