04-30-2011, 11:16 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); This little guide will help you keep your Playstation 3 running smoothly so read on look at the pictures and follow the instructions.

This is a good thing to do from time to time to keep your PS3 running smoothly. I recommend doing this monthly like i do.

So if you have xmb slow downs, a weird glitch for example your blu-ray drive takes a while to read disks sometimes not at all or maybe your trophies take a while to sync this would be wise to do.

Heads Up

Safe mode is available in PS3 system software version 2.60 or later.

This will Delete messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.

* This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.

It took me less than a minute to rebuild mine and i have a 120GB HDD.

[multipage=How To Access Safe Mode]
How To Access Safe Mode

Step 1:

- Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red, This is called Standby.

Step 2:

- Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.

- Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.

- Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red), Back into Standby.

Step 3:

- Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.

- Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.

- Continue to hold the Power button for 2 seconds longer and you will hear a quick double beep ( Release the button at that point).

- If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying,

"Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

You must login or register to view this content.

- Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.

- Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

- Welcome to the PS3 Recovery Menu you’ve made it! Select option 4 “Rebuild Database” and press X.

Step 4:

- After pressing X you will see the screen above. ^^^ Select Yes to continue. After pressing X your PS3 will reboot.

- If you have a HDMI cable you’ll see this screen. Obviously select yes. If you connect your PS3 another way you’ll get a simliar screen. Just select yes.

- A notice on screen will come up "The hard disk's database will be rebuilt" Press X to OK the message.

- Now the magic begins.

Step 5:

- After it’s complete your PS3 will reboot and your hard drive will be back to running smoothly again!

To summarise all of that heres a quick look on it all.

Have your PS3 from Standby (PS3 shows a red light) and then hold the power button down, The PS3 will turn on and shortly after turn off again then release the power button, press the power button again and continue holding it, The PS3 will turn back on again but this time hold until you hear 2 quick beeps (approx. 7 seconds from power on) and then release the power button following on screen prompts.

[multipage=Effects Of Each Safe Mode Option]
Effects Of Each Safe Mode Option

1. Restart System

Ends safe mode and starts up the system normally.

2. Restore Default Settings

Performs operations for [Restore Default Settings] on the PS3 XMB Menu, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.

* [User] information is deleted temporarily and then restored. An asterisk (*) is appended in front of the restored User name.

If you sign in to PlayStation®Network after performing [Restore Default Settings], purchased games can be played without any additional operations.

Note that for downloaded (purchased) games, if you turn off the system before you sign in, the following error message will be displayed when the game is started, even if you turn on the system again and sign in:

To access this content, you must activate the system.

Go to [PlayStation®Network] > [Account Management] to activate this system. (80029514)

To access the content, go to [Account Management] to activate the system.

(Even if [This system is activated] is displayed, deactivate it and then activate it again.)

3. Restore File System

Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered.

4. Rebuild Database

Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.

* This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.

5. Restore PS3 System

This corresponds to [Restore PS3 System] operation on the PS3 XMB Menu (quick format).

6. System Update

Updates the PS3 system software (can only be done from storage media).

[multipage=Other Times To Use Safe Mode]
Other Times To Use Safe Mode

Execute safe mode when the PS3 exhibits the following symptoms:

- When the PS3 system is started up, the PS3 Home Menu is not displayed (only the wave screen background appears).

-When the PS3 system is started up, nothing appears on the screen.

-When the PS3 system is started up, a message stating [The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored.] is displayed.

-After selecting [OK] the system restores and restarts. Original message is displayed again or the system stops during restoration.
When the PS3 system is started up, a message stating [The hard disk's database will be rebuilt.] is displayed. After selecting [OK] the rebuild operation starts and fails. The system stops while formatting hard disk drive.

-The system stops while restarting after a PS3 system update or while updating or rebuilding the database. The situation does not improve even when the system is restarted.

[multipage=Cleaning Your PS3 Inside And Out]
Cleaning Your PS3 Inside And Out

Many people say used cans of compressed air, Here's a very simple question...

Do you:

A) Want to blast the dust/dirt into tight, hard-to-reach areas that cannot be accessed with a vacuum cleaner without voiding your warranty?

or

B) Suck the dust/dirt out from your PS3 into a vacuum cleaner keeping your warranty?

Compressed air is best used with PC's that have components and boards that can be removed for easier cleaning. It's a catagory that up to now the PS3 does NOT fit into.

So ideally you would want to get a vacuum cleaner hold it on the vents for a few seconds, moving it side to side a couple of times to loosen the dust up and clear it out. I would do this weekly or monthly depending on the environment your PS3 is in.

Keeping the PS3 in a open space is good, Allowing it to keep a clean air flow. I keep my window and bedroom door open a little so a steady flow or air comes through my room keeping my PS3 cool and quiet.

If you have a old school fat PS3 its best to use a microfibre cloths as the shiny surfaces scratch easily, But if you have a slim a wet/damp cloth will do the job, I use a baby wipe. Make sure the PS3 is OFF and not connected to the power source.

[multipage=Thanks To]
Thanks To

Thanks to these pages for providing me with pictures, and additional information.

I Hope this keeps your PS3's running smooth too, Lew.
Last edited by xLew-- ; 05-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.

The following 12 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

Chaosfire, courtjester51, Dexter., jeffers07, lewism2010, My Hate, o l2y o, Platinum G, The Rangers, Meeky, xkia, Zumper
04-30-2011, 11:47 AM #11
bobstar1
Little One
mice thread
04-30-2011, 11:48 AM #12
bobstar1
Little One
mice thread
04-30-2011, 11:48 AM #13
Meeky
Dark Knight
Originally posted by xLew
Same mate xD quite alot of my friends list on ps3 ask me for help if somethings up and some how i seem to know a answer lol

yeah its so easy with ps3 i had 13 ps3s sold 10 2 broken down i open them fixed them and give them away, there was one point that if my ps3 got broken i phoned sony told them i had a slim ps3 but i have a fat ps3, so that ment i have a free year with sony because i give a slim code, they come out and i handed them a fat ps3 and clossed my door lol the guy just put the ps3 in the fan and went away, so i got a slim off sony if my ps3 was broken, i thinks this stell works mate but you must give a slim code and hand them a fat ps3. hope this helps you some time, 90% i should work, Smile
04-30-2011, 12:17 PM #14
bobstar1
Little One
nice thread
04-30-2011, 12:30 PM #15
Meeky
Dark Knight
Originally posted by xLew
Same mate xD quite alot of my friends list on ps3 ask me for help if somethings up and some how i seem to know a answer lol

because ngu was down i mead me postSmile
04-30-2011, 12:30 PM #16
xLew--
Former Staff
thanks mate
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM #17
If I Rebuild Database and Restore File System will it mess up my Rebug 3.55.1 ??
04-30-2011, 01:26 PM #18
thanks for this advice man
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM #19
Hey hmm will this delete my game saves and themes and stuff like that?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo