Post: Uncharted 2 multiplayer demo date confirmed; no single-player demo
08-13-2009, 05:45 PM #1
King Jamiɘ
Super Premium
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Naughty Dog has confirmed the dates for the Uncharted 2 multiplayer demo, whilst also revealing that there will not be a single-player demo.

Unlike the first game, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will not feature a single-player demo. However, also unlike the first game, Uncharted 2 includes co-operative and competitive multiplayer; a feature that Naughty Dog will be exploiting in a demo before the game's release.

So when will the demo be released? As previously listed on Play.com, the multiplayer demo will start on September 15th as a two-week exclusive with GameStop in the US (exclusivity has not yet been confirmed for the UK, but Play is at least on board so far). By the end of September the demo will be opened up to everyone until the game's US release date on October 13th.

As for a single-player demo, it doesn't look like there's going to be one, with Naughty Dog's co-founder Evan Wells telling 1up:

"Yeah, it's probably not looking like we're going to do one."

Amy Henning, the game's script writer, explains their reasoning:

"It's always tough to do a single-player demo. You can always argue whether it benefits you or not in the long run, because so much of it depends on you understanding where you are in the narrative, and then appreciating what's going on in the single-player demo.

"It's hard to take a slice. But what's nice is that multiplayer actually gives you that, 'if you're enjoying this gameplay, you're going to enjoy single-player gameplay,' which is certainly a benefit that we didn't have last time."

Wells continues after being asked whether a multiplayer demo could be more intimidating:

"Well, I think it's about different levels of expectation. Because in single-player, you want the story and the adventure, and you want to experience the narrative. If you're only taking a slice of that, you haven't developed the attachment to the characters; you haven't developed the motivations these characters have; all the stuff Amy was talking about. These are all critical parts of the experience; people just sit down [and finish the game] in one or two sittings because they get engrossed in the environment. If you just plunk any 15 minutes out of the game, it's not going to be the same."

"We sort of got that anecdotally from the first demo," Henning adds. "Some people loved it; some people thought, 'eh.' I read over and over people saying, 'Oh yeah, I played the demo and I didn't think much about it, but I bought the game and it's the best game ever and I love it to pieces.' And, well, how do you solve that? A 15 minute slice just doesn't give you all that. I'd rather have people play the multiplayer, get the feel for the mechanics, and then look at the game, and think, 'Yeah, I want to see the single-player experience.' Yeah, I think we're giving people a lot of value for their money."

So a multiplayer demo it is, keeping the single-player a fresh surprise; in an experience that is much longer than the first game. Well's claims that Uncharted 2's campaign makes "the first one just looks like child's play."

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo