Post: Patent Suggest Kinect Could Charge Per Person When Playing A Movie
05-25-2013, 12:21 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); A patent filed by Microsoft indicates that Kinect could count the number of viewers watching (or playing) content and allow the content supplier to charge a fee per person.

Website ExtremeTech discovered the You must login or register to view this content. which contains the following text:

“The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

You must login or register to view this content.

This is further clarified in the detailed description;

“[0042] At 412, a license validation is performed by comparing the user count and any view or performance limitation against that allowed by the license. If the license is satisfied, the content presentation begins at 420. If not, then at 414, the user is presented with an option to adjust the license terms. If the license is updated at 416, then the content presentation begins at 420. If not, the presentation is halted at 418.”

Of course just because there is a patent for the tech it does not mean it will ever be used, but now the ‘always on’ Kinect and the massive focus on TV, sports and movies Microsoft aimed at during the XBox One reveal, it does appear rather ominous.

Source: You must login or register to view this content.
05-26-2013, 01:02 AM #11
socia
Gym leader
Originally posted by Kidd
I was just going to cover the camera up... I have something covering my laptop one.. I really dislike built in webcams... And I have no interest in Kinect.. I already have a general concept of a tool I'm going to make out of wood to cover the kinect when not in use.

my main concern about the kinect is why is it even mandatory to use? im sure there is some disclaimer about people covering it up also. it reads heat sigs so i would imagine it would know. there is no reason for it.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Originally posted by Skyline View Post
I'm not surprised! They're probably getting worried about all the negative comments being left because of their massive fail of a reveal!

Some other info from the Xbox and Playstation official channels:

Xbox One reveal highlights - 1,657 likes - 4,827 dislikes

PS4 announcement highlights - 6,982 likes - 145 dislikes

Not sure how to say this better but... Sony... "FINISH HIM!"

im not an xbox fan, i dont own one anymore, im not bias against it or them i just dont have the money for another system. but it really pisses me off as well as alot of other gamers that dont even use or have the xbox that they went the route they did. it should be upsetting to most true hard core gamers gamers.
05-26-2013, 01:13 AM #12
Scrwey30x--
Do a barrel roll!
Microsoft is really going to nickle and dime people until they run them self straight into the ground. This is absolutely sad and unacceptable. I guess this is just another reason why the CableBoxOne may fail.
05-26-2013, 01:15 AM #13
Kidd Cold
**** my Toaster !~!
Originally posted by socia View Post
my main concern about the kinect is why is it even mandatory to use? im sure there is some disclaimer about people covering it up also. it reads heat sigs so i would imagine it would know. there is no reason for it.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

im not an xbox fan, i dont own one anymore, im not bias against it or them i just dont have the money for another system. but it really pisses me off as well as alot of other gamers that dont even use or have the xbox that they went the route they did. it should be upsetting to most true hard core gamers gamers.

While I think a thick enough material should deal with the heat sig... But, if they really want to play that way they shouldn't be surprised when people tear open the kinect and spoof what it sees or disable it while giving the system the impression it's still active.
05-26-2013, 01:17 AM #14
Trainss
Bounty hunter
Wow they are getting real money greedy doing that really you pay for the movie why should it matter how many people you have watching it and ya I am sure people will find a way to get out of it no sense even wasting the time and money doing this.
05-26-2013, 01:18 AM #15
socia
Gym leader
While I think a thick enough material should deal with the heat sig... But, if they really want to play that way they shouldn't be surprised when people tear open the kinect and spoof what it sees or disable it while giving the system the impression it's still active.

it will happen lol. i would be working on the same thing after i bought one.
05-26-2013, 02:18 AM #16
NJN
I sat on your nachos
this is just pathetic if this becomes true.
05-26-2013, 02:32 AM #17
Dman93
Crawl to your cross
I was just going to cover the camera up... I have something covering my laptop one.. I really dislike built in webcams... And I have no interest in Kinect.. I already have a general concept of a tool I'm going to make out of wood to cover the kinect when not in use.

If they get this, I'm sure they can figure out that people will block it. Otherwise what would be the point.
05-26-2013, 08:56 PM #18
Woo good job Microsoft, keep smoking that pot there and you'll be soaring in no time!
05-26-2013, 10:39 PM #19
Kidd Cold
**** my Toaster !~!
Originally posted by Dman93 View Post
If they get this, I'm sure they can figure out that people will block it. Otherwise what would be the point.

True; but how many devices do you know that will not function if they cannot view the user? I personally do not know of any... It's an invasion of privacy, and while I would like to say that I doubt they could get away with it, who knows. We the consumers should not be so accepting of a device or an idea for a device which so willingly can be used to invade our privacy.

Will M$ use it for such a purpose?! Probably not, seems like their main agenda is to nickel and dime us.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo