Post: Patent Suggest Kinect Could Charge Per Person When Playing A Movie
05-25-2013, 12:21 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); A patent filed by Microsoft indicates that Kinect could count the number of viewers watching (or playing) content and allow the content supplier to charge a fee per person.

Website ExtremeTech discovered the You must login or register to view this content. which contains the following text:

“The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

You must login or register to view this content.

This is further clarified in the detailed description;

“[0042] At 412, a license validation is performed by comparing the user count and any view or performance limitation against that allowed by the license. If the license is satisfied, the content presentation begins at 420. If not, then at 414, the user is presented with an option to adjust the license terms. If the license is updated at 416, then the content presentation begins at 420. If not, the presentation is halted at 418.”

Of course just because there is a patent for the tech it does not mean it will ever be used, but now the ‘always on’ Kinect and the massive focus on TV, sports and movies Microsoft aimed at during the XBox One reveal, it does appear rather ominous.

Source: You must login or register to view this content.
05-26-2013, 11:00 PM #20
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by Kidd
We the consumers should not be so accepting of a device or an idea for a device which so willingly can be used to invade our privacy.

Will M$ use it for such a purpose?!

You must login or register to view this content. :troll:

OFF-TOPIC: 50k vBux if someone can guess what movie this is from.
Last edited by -Skyline ; 05-26-2013 at 11:02 PM.
05-26-2013, 11:41 PM #21
Dman93
Crawl to your cross
Originally posted by Kidd
True; but how many devices do you know that will not function if they cannot view the user? I personally do not know of any... It's an invasion of privacy, and while I would like to say that I doubt they could get away with it, who knows. We the consumers should not be so accepting of a device or an idea for a device which so willingly can be used to invade our privacy.

Will M$ use it for such a purpose?! Probably not, seems like their main agenda is to nickel and dime us.

Of course they can get away with it, it will probably be in the xbox live terms and you will have to agree just like how Microsoft can listen to Skype calls. I'm not accepting of it, I'm not getting it lol.
05-27-2013, 12:17 AM #22
Kidd Cold
**** my Toaster !~!
Originally posted by Skyline View Post
You must login or register to view this content. :troll:

OFF-TOPIC: 50k vBux if someone can guess what movie this is from.

LOL; Batman forever... No vbux though.. I just looked at the url for the image.

Originally posted by Dman93 View Post
Of course they can get away with it, it will probably be in the xbox live terms and you will have to agree just like how Microsoft can listen to Skype calls. I'm not accepting of it, I'm not getting it lol.

True! And this is what is wrong with the majority of people ( not you ). They are afraid to take a stand, if enough people voiced their concern to political figures such feature would be question by the government and FCC. I mean it would be their service, but I think it is pretty low of a company (if they did) to try and scan a room and charge a fee if say someone had a friend over playing the game also.
05-27-2013, 02:49 AM #23
lmfao.

I'm not a Microsoft hater or anything, but what the hell? Really? This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of even if it just a patent application.

The only way I could think of what this might be used for is if there was a way to be able to watch movie theater movies on your XBO while they were still out in theaters and that's why they would charge per person, but even that still sounds dumb using the Kinect as a sensor.
05-27-2013, 04:16 AM #24
Sazabi
I am error
lol, go microsoft, go shoot yourself in the foot

One wonders what do their executive do in their spare time?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo