Post: Patent Suggest Kinect Could Charge Per Person When Playing A Movie
05-25-2013, 12:21 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); A patent filed by Microsoft indicates that Kinect could count the number of viewers watching (or playing) content and allow the content supplier to charge a fee per person.

Website ExtremeTech discovered the You must login or register to view this content. which contains the following text:

“The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

You must login or register to view this content.

This is further clarified in the detailed description;

“[0042] At 412, a license validation is performed by comparing the user count and any view or performance limitation against that allowed by the license. If the license is satisfied, the content presentation begins at 420. If not, then at 414, the user is presented with an option to adjust the license terms. If the license is updated at 416, then the content presentation begins at 420. If not, the presentation is halted at 418.”

Of course just because there is a patent for the tech it does not mean it will ever be used, but now the ‘always on’ Kinect and the massive focus on TV, sports and movies Microsoft aimed at during the XBox One reveal, it does appear rather ominous.

Source: You must login or register to view this content.
05-25-2013, 12:52 AM #2
Spongebob.
I defeated!
One more fail for Microsoft if they do this.
05-25-2013, 01:44 AM #3
-Skyline
Anonymous
I suppose 1 or 2 people could hide behind a shroud while it's playing :dumb:

But seriously, keep it coming Micro$oft.. you're only pointing your fans in the direction of Playstation.
05-25-2013, 06:21 PM #4
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
That an strange ass patent to file for.
Last edited by ResistTheSun ; 05-25-2013 at 06:39 PM.

The following user thanked ResistTheSun for this useful post:

Swifter
05-25-2013, 06:35 PM #5
xSoulEdge
Big Sister
Ok, looks like Microsoft wants to lose against Sony without fighting lol.
05-25-2013, 07:17 PM #6
socia
Gym leader
Originally posted by Skyline View Post
I suppose 1 or 2 people could hide behind a shroud while it's playing

lol, i though the same thing at first, but it can read your heartbeat and see through your clothing. so id imagine it also detects heat.

what if i buy a license for 2 people/heat signatures.... and i have a baby and or even a dog. will i have to lock my animal up in a separate room along with my child or buy a license for for 4 people lol. would they create some kind of patent for deciphering between heat sig's? maybe size? if so maybe we could all sit in a ball to become as small as possible lol.
Last edited by socia ; 05-25-2013 at 07:33 PM.
05-25-2013, 09:37 PM #7
Hells
I'm Back...
So they have a patent....

Like you said it will probably not be used and if this feature is used it would be used by movie companies (I'd guess) or who knows maybe a Cinema company is ready to bring an app and they want to know if the Kinect is capable of the technology
05-26-2013, 12:08 AM #8
socia
Gym leader
did anyone notice xbox shut the comment section down on their YouTube Channel?
05-26-2013, 12:23 AM #9
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by socia View Post
did anyone notice xbox shut the comment section down on their YouTube Channel?

I'm not surprised! They're probably getting worried about all the negative comments being left because of their massive fail of a reveal!

Some other info from the Xbox and Playstation official channels:

Xbox One reveal highlights - 1,657 likes - 4,827 dislikes

PS4 announcement highlights - 6,982 likes - 145 dislikes

Not sure how to say this better but... Sony... "FINISH HIM!"
Last edited by -Skyline ; 05-26-2013 at 12:36 AM.

The following user thanked -Skyline for this useful post:

Swifter
05-26-2013, 12:51 AM #10
Kidd Cold
**** my Toaster !~!
Originally posted by Skyline View Post
I suppose 1 or 2 people could hide behind a shroud while it's playing :dumb:

But seriously, keep it coming Micro$oft.. you're only pointing your fans in the direction of Playstation.

I was just going to cover the camera up... I have something covering my laptop one.. I really dislike built in webcams... And I have no interest in Kinect.. I already have a general concept of a tool I'm going to make out of wood to cover the kinect when not in use.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo