10-23-2011, 12:01 AM #1
GE90
< ^ > < ^ >
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Anyone here ever been caught downloading torrents. i am downloading a movie that I dont want to pay 20$, and it's older too. What are the risks of getting caught and what will happen?

The following user groaned GE90 for this awful post:

CodingNation
10-24-2011, 01:07 AM #11
With downloading torrents you could be downloading from any country with Internet piracy laws. With warez, the sites are offshore along with the uploaders.
10-24-2011, 01:37 AM #12
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by LordOfSpoon
With downloading torrents you could be downloading from any country with Internet piracy laws. With warez, the sites are offshore along with the uploaders.

That's not necessarily true. First off, not all warez sites are necessarily offshore, and often times, the downloads these warez sites link you to are from a separate download provider, which could be very much located in the United States. Plus, regardless of where you download from, your ISP can monitor all your activity and you could still be charged with possession of stolen property and possibly a variety of other cyber-stealing related crimes. As with anything, we can always take precautions to avoid getting caught, but these precautions don't make you invulnerable.

I think a lot of people prefer torrents because its more of a grey area, as technically speaking, acquiring small pieces of a product (such as a movie) isn't illegal, all you're doing with a torrent is collecting these small pieces and assembling them. Plus, torrents typically provide for a faster download, and torrents are often more readily available than warez.
10-24-2011, 11:57 PM #13
Cory
User needs a dick
Originally posted by Mr.Amitoz View Post
Yeah if you get caught you have to pay $250.000.00 don't you see the FBI warning on old movies they show that and sometimes in new ones to.

You're kidding right? Your ISP cannot sue you for $250k. That warning is if you are caught selling the movie without permission. And by caught I mean the movie publisher was informed of your operation and did not like it so they decided to sue you.

The following user thanked Cory for this useful post:

Mr Grumpy
10-25-2011, 12:14 AM #14
Mr Grumpy
< ^ > < ^ >
Use peer block, don't go onto dodgy sites, and make sure its from a reliable uploader, sometimes FBIS upload torrents just to get peoples ips and use them. Like somebody said before, stick to warez-bb or any other direct link sites, I only use torrents as a last resource. Smile

EDIT : Also your ISP/Provider would usually send you a letter telling you to stop before contacting the authorities. Or they would cut your internet temporarily.

The following user groaned Mr Grumpy for this awful post:

CodingNation
10-25-2011, 12:26 AM #15
Pixie Lott
Keep it MeLLo
i D/L a shit load of torrents never had a letter from my ISP

Since end of April.

You must login or register to view this content.
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM #16
chaosx6
~*`Chaos Is Power`*~
Your ISP just sends you a letter if you get caught downloading... Thats why its good to use Peerblocker. Its better to have some protection then nothing at all.
10-25-2011, 01:32 AM #17
ya but since your in the jurisdiction of the united states then can still fine you and give you jail time.
Originally posted by LordOfSpoon
torrents suck, you want to download Warez. All they are is direct download links from hotfile, megaupload, duckload, etc. Normally all warez sites are in Sweden which that country has no DMCA laws, so you can download whatever you want legally. But again don't download a lot at any time, because your ISP still has the right to disconnect you, and most of the time, they don't. If they disconnect you, they loose money, so thats not going to happen. Smile A great place to download warez is warez-bb.org its safe, never got a virus.
10-25-2011, 01:46 AM #18
Mr.Amitoz
Big Brother ONLINE GTFO
Originally posted by Poynt View Post
You're kidding right? Your ISP cannot sue you for $250k. That warning is if you are caught selling the movie without permission. And by caught I mean the movie publisher was informed of your operation and did not like it so they decided to sue you.

I Guess i forgot to put a jk No
10-25-2011, 02:26 AM #19
Originally posted by verytguy View Post
ya but since your in the jurisdiction of the united states then can still fine you and give you jail time.

Doesn't matter, its a loop hole many pirates use. I know a lot of people personally who download Warez and of them pretty all have gotten letters in the mail to "cease and desist", but that was for Torrent files. After downloading Warez with a Rapidshare account along with flashget/flashgot on Mozilla, you are unstoppable and remain one of the millions of people under the nails of the agents who look for us. Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo