10-12-2009, 05:52 AM #1
H₂O
Samurai Poster
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I am just wondering who here runs linux as their primary OS. I am running Linux Mint right now, I have changed different linxes over the years. Started with SUSE 9.3 back in 2006...good times.

p.s. Linux>Windows
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM #11
IMO, anythings thats free is shit. I tried Linux once before, and its impossible to install a program. Call me simple, but I love getting viruses. I'll just use NIS 2010.
10-17-2009, 10:58 AM #12
Originally posted by CKhaleel View Post
IMO, anythings thats free is shit. I tried Linux once before, and its impossible to install a program. Call me simple, but I love getting viruses. I'll just use NIS 2010.

Impossible to install a program? There's a package manager, you just select the one you want and it installs it. My Grandma could do it and she thinks the internet is a large box in china.
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM #13
I have to run Ubuntu on my laptop because my version of Window got corrupted and even restoring it wouldn't work. I just can't get around it properly, at first anything to do with terminal confused me but now i get the sudo apt-get thing and that's all i can do. I just want to get back to windows and run my adobe products and a WORKING version of flash player because linux doesn't have a proper flash codec on my firefox :(
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM #14
Technicz
Bounty hunter
I run linux on my servers and remote computers, but not on anything else, rather have windows, more easier i think
10-20-2009, 07:57 PM #15
H₂O
Samurai Poster
Originally posted by CKhaleel View Post

False.

Sypt-apt-get has many programs you can get easily installed. It has anything you ever want.

or manually

In termnal:

sudo
./configure
make
make install

Not hard at all

Originally posted by JimErased View Post
I have to run Ubuntu on my laptop because my version of Window got corrupted and even restoring it wouldn't work. I just can't get around it properly, at first anything to do with terminal confused me but now i get the sudo apt-get thing and that's all i can do. I just want to get back to windows and run my adobe products and a WORKING version of flash player because linux doesn't have a proper flash codec on my firefox :(

I had the same problem with Ubuntu. Try installing Linux Mint instead--

Originally posted by another user
Linux Mint is an operating system for personal computers, based on (and compatible with) Ubuntu, with integrated media codecs.

It had mp3, flv, etc support from the start. It looks cleaner and I think its better than Ubuntu.

Originally posted by Gobble172 View Post
My Grandma could do it and she thinks the internet is a large box in china.

lmao

The following user thanked H₂O for this useful post:

JimErased
10-22-2009, 06:12 PM #16
Thanks! I'm now on mint and it will do until i get a new laptop with windows 7, i may even consider a dual boot Happy
10-22-2009, 07:27 PM #17
elfmotat
Rᵤᵥ - ½gᵤᵥR ∝ Tᵤᵥ
I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, and Yellow Dog. Hated them all. I'd say mint was my favorite of the three though. Tbh, I can't see the how viruses can be used as a reason to hate on windows. I've never had a problem with viruses - in fact, I don't think I know anyone who has.
10-23-2009, 02:04 AM #18
H₂O
Samurai Poster
Originally posted by JimErased View Post
Thanks! I'm now on mint and it will do until i get a new laptop with windows 7, i may even consider a dual boot Happy

Thats what I am going to do, sorta.. I have Ubuntu, Dreamlinux, Mint, Vista as a quad boot. I am going to delete Vista/Ubuntu and make them a NTFS drive and put Windows 7 over it. I hate how when you install Windows, it removes the GRUB bootloader. Pisses me off.

Originally posted by elfmotat View Post
I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, and Yellow Dog. Hated them all. I'd say mint was my favorite of the three though. Tbh, I can't see the how viruses can be used as a reason to hate on windows. I've never had a problem with viruses - in fact, I don't think I know anyone who has.

I just hate the feeling knowing that there could be a virus out there recording everything you type. I have a friend who is a genius programmer-he knows a lot of languages- and has two undiscovered keyloggers written.

Viruses are just a pain in the ass. You have to buy antivirus software for it, which runs most of the time, takes up CPU speed and ram, not to mention you have to scan your computer every damn week.

Just wondering Elfmotat, what did you hate about Linux?
Last edited by H₂O ; 10-23-2009 at 02:10 AM.
10-23-2009, 04:19 AM #19
elfmotat
Rᵤᵥ - ½gᵤᵥR ∝ Tᵤᵥ
Originally posted by O View Post
Thats what I am going to do, sorta.. I have Ubuntu, Dreamlinux, Mint, Vista as a quad boot. I am going to delete Vista/Ubuntu and make them a NTFS drive and put Windows 7 over it. I hate how when you install Windows, it removes the GRUB bootloader. Pisses me off.

I just hate the feeling knowing that there could be a virus out there recording everything you type. I have a friend who is a genius programmer-he knows a lot of languages- and has two undiscovered keyloggers written.

Viruses are just a pain in the ass. You have to buy antivirus software for it, which runs most of the time, takes up CPU speed and ram, not to mention you have to scan your computer every damn week.

Just wondering Elfmotat, what did you hate about Linux?

It seemed rather unintuitive to me, installing crap was a pain in the ass, and I had to run some windows programs in the wine bs. It didn't seem like enough of a benefit in terms of performance to get me to bother re-learning an operating system. Plus it's pretty ugly. I'd rather save myself the hassle and stick with W7.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo