10-12-2009, 05:52 AM #1
H₂O
Samurai Poster
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I am just wondering who here runs linux as their primary OS. I am running Linux Mint right now, I have changed different linxes over the years. Started with SUSE 9.3 back in 2006...good times.

p.s. Linux>Windows
10-23-2009, 04:52 AM #20
H₂O
Samurai Poster
Originally posted by elfmotat View Post
It seemed rather unintuitive to me, installing crap was a pain in the ass,

It is definitely harder than clicking on an .exe lol

Originally posted by another user
and I had to run some windows programs in the wine bs.

I found that changing WINE from 2000 to XP worked better. Some programs will just not emulate, but there are usually linux programs for that. iTunes=Songbird, etc. You can try virtualbox and install windows on that, and still run linux Winky Winky

It didn't seem like enough of a benefit in terms of performance to get me to bother re-learning an operating system.

Yeah, it takes some time to learn.

Plus it's pretty ugly. I'd rather save myself the hassle and stick with W7.

Ubuntu default looks like it came out of my asshole LOL.

You must login or register to view this content.
With the help of gnomelook, you can get Linux to look like XP/Vista/Windows 7

Your comment on Windows viruses not effecting anybody

Originally posted by drunkenrepublicn View Post
DO NOT USE LIMEWIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it cost me over $600.00 to fix my computer after I downloaded songs on LINEWIRE. I HIGHLY SUGGEST you DO NOT use it.

:cool:
Last edited by H₂O ; 10-23-2009 at 04:55 AM.
10-23-2009, 05:39 AM #21
Alright not the smartest person on computers but I do know I use Linux. The version is SUSE(I think?). I got the blue screen of death twice on my last laptop using windows and this hasn't crashed yet! The only problem is if your going to download/install something and it only works for windows then your kinda screwed.
10-23-2009, 06:53 AM #22
H₂O
Samurai Poster
Originally posted by IttyBittyNinja View Post
Alright not the smartest person on computers but I do know I use Linux.

Smile

The version is SUSE(I think?).

lol

I got the blue screen of death twice on my last laptop using windows and this hasn't crashed yet! The only problem is if your going to download/install something and it only works for windows then your kinda screwed.

Try installing WINE through YAST.
10-23-2009, 10:27 AM #23
Originally posted by O View Post
you can get Linux to look like XP/Vista/Windows 7

Don't ever offend me like that again. Why would I want it to look like windows? It looks far superior to windows!

What does everyone love about a Mac? The gui, it's psychical appearance is always something mentioned. That's never mentioned about Windows.

You can make linux look like Mac and better still, so don't give me rubbish about looking like Windows! haha :mad:
10-23-2009, 10:49 AM #24
Vegas
Viva Las?
It is definitely harder than clicking on an .exe lol

I found that changing WINE from 2000 to XP worked better. Some programs will just not emulate, but there are usually linux programs for that. iTunes=Songbird, etc. You can try virtualbox and install windows on that, and still run linux Winky Winky

Yeah, it takes some time to learn.

Ubuntu default looks like it came out of my asshole LOL.

You must login or register to view this content.
With the help of gnomelook, you can get Linux to look like XP/Vista/Windows 7

Your comment on Windows viruses not effecting anybody

:cool:

Lol.

Who cares if Linux doesn't get as viruses, or as many viruses as Windows and any other operating system does? It's not the OS's fault if you catch a virus, it's your own fault and stupidity to obtaining it in the first place.

All you have to do is use a decent anti-virus scanner, (I use avast! Professional), and have common sense. And BAM! You're fine from viruses.

I also love your biased poll.
Last edited by Vegas ; 10-23-2009 at 10:52 AM.
10-23-2009, 11:24 AM #25
Originally posted by Vegas View Post
Lol.

Who cares if Linux doesn't get as viruses, or as many viruses as Windows and any other operating system does? It's not the OS's fault if you catch a virus, it's your own fault and stupidity to obtaining it in the first place.

All you have to do is use a decent anti-virus scanner, (I use avast! Professional), and have common sense. And BAM! You're fine from viruses.

Although Linux is harder to crack then Windows, it's simply because Windows being the market leader in OS's is going to be the prime target of viruses as 9/10 people are going to use it. That's why people write them for that.

I don't use Linux because of viruses (although it is a bonus), I simply use it because I like it.

I understand for a lot, that the thought of moving to and getting used to a new OS is too much to bother with, but I stuck with it and now I see why others like it so much.

Yes, the poll is a bit special Winky Winky
10-24-2009, 04:09 AM #26
H₂O
Samurai Poster
Lol.

Who cares if Linux doesn't get as viruses, or as many viruses as Windows and any other operating system does?

I do. I dont want a trojan up the ass making me reinstall everything.

It's not the OS's fault if you catch a virus, it's your own fault and stupidity to obtaining it in the first place.

You can get malware and viruses from legit programs and websites.

Virus scanners to not catch everything. You also have to pay $20-50 a year, which you dont have to do for linux. You say you have a free one? Well, what about your comment about anything that is free is shit? Free virus scanners do not do as well because the people writing the program arent getting paid as much.

I speak the truth

Originally posted by Gobble View Post
Don't ever offend me like that again. Why would I want it to look like windows? It looks far superior to windows!

lol I am just saying if they want it to look like windows..

What does everyone love about a Mac? The gui, it's psychical appearance is always something mentioned. That's never mentioned about Windows.

Who says I love Mac? lol I think people like it because its so simple, which I HATE

You can make linux look like Mac and better still, so don't give me rubbish about looking like Windows! haha :mad:

You can get to look exactly like Windows, there are transformation packs on gnome look. Why you would want to do it is beyond me..

Originally posted by Gobble View Post
Although Linux is harder to crack then Windows, it's simply because Windows being the market leader in OS's is going to be the prime target of viruses as 9/10 people are going to use it. That's why people write them for that.

Yes and no.

Windows always runs in root, or sudo. Especially in XP. When running in root, your are MUCH more prone to viruses because they can actually mess with the system files. Its also soo much easier to install a program when noobs click twice on an .exe, rather than downloading from the trusted sypt-apt-get, or looking at the source and doing it manually

Guess what hackers use as their OS? Linux.

I don't use Linux because of viruses (although it is a bonus), I simply use it because I like it.

Same. It is a HUGE bonus in my mind, but it runs faster, smoother and I can mod the shit out of it.

I understand for a lot, that the thought of moving to and getting used to a new OS is too much to bother with, but I stuck with it and now I see why others like it so much.

Some people dont see the good in the dark sideWinky Winky

Yes, the poll is a bit special Winky Winky

Smile
10-24-2009, 05:24 AM #27
Vegas
Viva Las?
I do. I dont want a trojan up the ass making me reinstall everything.

You can get malware and viruses from legit programs and websites.

Virus scanners to not catch everything. You also have to pay $20-50 a year, which you dont have to do for linux. You say you have a free one? Well, what about your comment about anything that is free is shit? Free virus scanners do not do as well because the people writing the program arent getting paid as much.

I speak the truth

lol I am just saying if they want it to look like windows..

Who says I love Mac? lol I think people like it because its so simple, which I HATE

You can get to look exactly like Windows, there are transformation packs on gnome look. Why you would want to do it is beyond me..

Yes and no.

Windows always runs in root, or sudo. Especially in XP. When running in root, your are MUCH more prone to viruses because they can actually mess with the system files. Its also soo much easier to install a program when noobs click twice on an .exe, rather than downloading from the trusted sypt-apt-get, or looking at the source and doing it manually

Guess what hackers use as their OS? Linux.

Same. It is a HUGE bonus in my mind, but it runs faster, smoother and I can mod the shit out of it.

Some people dont see the good in the dark sideWinky Winky

Smile
Uhh, where did I say anything free is shit?

And besides, the virus scanner I use isn't free, it has to be paid for yearly, however I do not do this, as I use a cracked version of the application.

By you, smiling at Gobble's quote, you are therefore distinguishing yourself as a biased person.
Last edited by Vegas ; 10-24-2009 at 05:52 AM.
10-24-2009, 08:19 AM #28
By you, smiling at Gobble's quote, you are therefore distinguishing yourself as a biased person.

Wow chill out dude, it's only a poll on a website for a bit of fun!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo