10-12-2009, 05:52 AM #1
H₂O
Samurai Poster
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I am just wondering who here runs linux as their primary OS. I am running Linux Mint right now, I have changed different linxes over the years. Started with SUSE 9.3 back in 2006...good times.

p.s. Linux>Windows
10-12-2009, 09:43 AM #2
Vegas
Viva Las?
Linux is a terrible, terrible OS.

The following user thanked Vegas for this useful post:

CKhaleel
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM #3
Originally posted by Vegas View Post
Linux is a terrible, terrible OS.

Because it works brilliantly, is more powerful then windows, is free, uses less memory then windows and is the most popular choice of Webserver?

Ubuntu is my main Os and I love it. I have dual boot Windows and have only been using it recently due to how reason runs in Wine. Other then that, there's no reason to even have it.
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM #4
Vegas
Viva Las?
Originally posted by Gobble172 View Post
Because it works brilliantly, is more powerful then windows, is free, uses less memory then windows and is the most popular choice of Webserver?

Ubuntu is my main Os and I love it. I have dual boot Windows and have only been using it recently due to how reason runs in Wine. Other then that, there's no reason to even have it.
Well, for you anyway, I absolutely hated it.
10-12-2009, 10:38 AM #5

I have to admit at first I didn't sing it's praises, but once I got my head around it and got comfortable with it, I wouldn't look back.

The following user thanked Gobz for this useful post:

H₂O
10-13-2009, 09:05 PM #6
H₂O
Samurai Poster

What linux distribution did you use? Ubuntu looks horrible out of the box, I prefer Linux Mint. (There basically the same thing) gnomelook.org can make it look better and symp-apt-get is your best friend.

If you had to try and configure your wireless card with ndiswrapper yeah that would be a bitchSmile I had to do that with SUSE 9.3 back in the day when I had no idea how to use the terminal.

Originally posted by Gobble172 View Post
I have to admit at first I didn't sing it's praises, but once I got my head around it and got comfortable with it, I wouldn't look back.

Same here.

Good to see we have one member on NGU that runs Linux Smile
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM #7
Originally posted by O View Post
What linux distribution did you use? Ubuntu looks horrible out of the box, I prefer Linux Mint. (There basically the same thing) gnomelook.org can make it look better and symp-apt-get is your best friend.

If you had to try and configure your wireless card with ndiswrapper yeah that would be a bitchSmile I had to do that with SUSE 9.3 back in the day when I had no idea how to use the terminal.

Same here.

Good to see we have one member on NGU that runs Linux Smile

Yeah I tried various flavours, firstly decided I was more of a Gnome then a KDE guy and then finally settled with Ubuntu. I've got it setup all swish and stuff with the compiz and emerald stuff, but don't really use any of it anymore, but it's still good to show of the mutliple desktops cube and stuff :P

I use Gnome look as well mate! Speaking of Ndiswrapper, my old Dell had to be done that way, but I managed to find some website that was dedicated to my model on ubuntu and the bloke had made a walkthough! What a legend.

I know quite a few of the commands as I setup a RedHat server on Qmail some years back, but I'm not really fresh with it.
10-16-2009, 12:07 AM #8
Yes I just love the feeling of my computer slowing down and random sound clips playing even when I get rid of a trojan.

Lol but seriously I'm so used to getting viruses its like a monthly thing...damn you vista
10-16-2009, 03:11 AM #9
mjkuser
OMGNEXTGEN
Linux is one of the most powerful OS's out there. Windows is the most vunerable of them all, but its so easy to use so people like it so much.
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM #10
Switched to Linux after I went through a virus problem and have never looked back. Linux FTW Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo