08-03-2011, 04:20 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); EDIT::: THIS IS MY CURRENT RIG
You must login or register to view this content.

k this is my desktop setup can someone plz look over this for me and tell me if it will play games like blackops with good settings... Am I missing anything? Fans or something ... Plz help thank!? * P.s. I think it totals out to around $828 without a video card EDIT:added video card will add another $174 EDIT: total without tax is $1097 HOPEFULLY LAST EDIT: total cost $953

Desktop setup :

Case:*You must login or register to view this content.

CPU: You must login or register to view this content.

MoBo: You must login or register to view this content.

Hard Drive: You must login or register to view this content.

Optical Drive:*You must login or register to view this content.

Ram (X3) :*You must login or register to view this content.

Video Card: You must login or register to view this content.

Software:*You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by Black_Jesus ; 08-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM #2
Booshykins
Tech Enthusiast
This'll run Black Ops and almost every other game very well. Only games with sub-optimal coding won't run at a pleasing level. People think it takes a lot, but it really doesn't. You could max out Black Ops on a $500 PC, easily. xD

The only thing is the hard drive. You could get a 7200 RPM, 6GB/s with a 32MB Cache hard drive for only $5 more from Seagate. It'll be a lot quicker than the one you selected, and the $5 difference is more than worth it.

Also, try to stay away from OEM products. Unless you're a frequent builder/seller of computers, there really is no point in having no support for the thing you've bought. I'd replace your CD drive, just try to find one that isn't OEM. That way if there's a problem, you'll actually receive support for it.

When it comes to Windows 7, though, OEM isn't bad if you want to save $100 and don't mind having to figure things out yourself.

As for the processor, ditch it and go for an i5 2500K to save money or a i7 2600K if you're willing to spend about $50 more. Both are significantly better for gaming than the i7 950.

Other than that, it looks great to me. :y: A PSU with a higher wattage just to be safe wouldn't hurt, but 500W should be the minimum you'll need.
Last edited by Booshykins ; 08-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.

The following user thanked Booshykins for this useful post:

Black_Jesus
08-03-2011, 10:53 AM #3
Originally posted by Jesus View Post
k this is my desktop setup can someone plz look over this for me and tell me if it will play games like blackops with good settings... Am I missing anything? Fans or something ... Plz help thank!? * P.s. I think it totals out to around $828 without a video card EDIT:added video card will add another $174 EDIT: total without tax is $1043

Desktop setup :

Case:*You must login or register to view this content.

CPU:*You must login or register to view this content.

MoBo:*You must login or register to view this content.

Hard Drive:*You must login or register to view this content.

Optical Drive:*You must login or register to view this content.

Ram (X3) :*You must login or register to view this content.

Video Card:*You must login or register to view this content.

Software:*You must login or register to view this content.
Try You must login or register to view this content. CPU, as it has a fully unlocked multiplier and will EASILY get past 4.0ghz, And You must login or register to view this content. Mobo. It has a Z68 chipset, which allows the CPU multiplier to be unlocked, AND enables use of the onboard graphics.

As for the GPU, it seems adequate enough, but if you decide you want a higher end card you might want to go with an nvidia, because some higher end ATI Cards can get really loud and quite hot :p.

The hard drive seems a bit slow as well, for a desktop you should at least have a 7200 RPM.

Another thing, you might want to spend a few $ on a good CPU cooler, as it will increase the life of your CPU and keep it cooler. You will also need some Thermal Compound to transfer the heat properly.

Case looks ok, but you might want to look at You must login or register to view this content. one, it is quite a bit cheaper, and you can buy a power supply of your choice instead of being forced to get one with your case. I would recommend 550w, just to be on the safe side.
Last edited by mman259 ; 08-03-2011 at 11:10 AM.

The following 2 users say thank you to mman259 for this useful post:

Black_Jesus, Booshykins
08-03-2011, 04:51 PM #4
Can u plz post me a hard rive link.. And can u also look at mman259 s comment what is he sayin?unlocked multiplier? Is this safe... Do I even need 4.0GHz.. And is my motherboard good?also I need to know if the video card is sufficient?

Originally posted by Collin
This'll run Black Ops and almost every other game very well. Only games with sub-optimal coding won't run at a pleasing level. People think it takes a lot, but it really doesn't. You could max out Black Ops on a $500 PC, easily. xD

The only thing is the hard drive. You could get a 7200 RPM, 6GB/s with a 32MB Cache hard drive for only $5 more from Seagate. It'll be a lot quicker than the one you selected, and the $5 difference is more than worth it.

Also, try to stay away from OEM products. Unless you're a frequent builder/seller of computers, there really is no point in having no support for the thing you've bought. I'd replace your CD drive, just try to find one that isn't OEM. That way if there's a problem, you'll actually receive support for it.

When it comes to Windows 7, though, OEM isn't bad if you want to save $100 and don't mind having to figure things out yourself.

As for the processor, ditch it and go for an i5 2500K to save money or a i7 2600K if you're willing to spend about $50 more. Both are significantly better for gaming than the i7 950.

Other than that, it looks great to me. :y: A PSU with a higher wattage just to be safe wouldn't hurt, but 500W should be the minimum you'll need.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Can u send me links to a good hardrive plz and a good graphics card? For the card I dnt want anything amazing.. I just wanna be aable to p.ay games like blackops on max settings

Originally posted by mman259 View Post
Try You must login or register to view this content. CPU, as it has a fully unlocked multiplier and will EASILY get past 4.0ghz, And You must login or register to view this content. Mobo. It has a Z68 chipset, which allows the CPU multiplier to be unlocked, AND enables use of the onboard graphics.

As for the GPU, it seems adequate enough, but if you decide you want a higher end card you might want to go with an nvidia, because some higher end ATI Cards can get really loud and quite hot :p.

The hard drive seems a bit slow as well, for a desktop you should at least have a 7200 RPM.

Another thing, you might want to spend a few $ on a good CPU cooler, as it will increase the life of your CPU and keep it cooler. You will also need some Thermal Compound to transfer the heat properly.

Case looks ok, but you might want to look at You must login or register to view this content. one, it is quite a bit cheaper, and you can buy a power supply of your choice instead of being forced to get one with your case. I would recommend 550w, just to be on the safe side.
08-03-2011, 05:27 PM #5
Booshykins
Tech Enthusiast
Can u plz post me a hard rive link.. And can u also look at mman259 s comment what is he sayin?unlocked multiplier? Is this safe... Do I even need 4.0GHz.. And is my motherboard good?also I need to know if the video card is sufficient?

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Can u send me links to a good hardrive plz and a good graphics card? For the card I dnt want anything amazing.. I just wanna be aable to p.ay games like blackops on max settings

mman259 is pretty much on the ball. He's suggested a good motherboard and processor, and as long as you have a good airflow from your cooling system, and learn how to do it correctly, overclocking isn't unsafe at all. If you want to save money for buying a case and power supply separately, go with an Intel Core i5 2500K processor. If you're willing to spend the extra $420 (for the processor, case, and power supply), then it's a good way to go.

Better graphics card - You must login or register to view this content.

Hard drive - You must login or register to view this content.

Looking back, the motherboard that you had chosen is a X58, and it's technically outdated. I would recommend a Z68 or P67 motherboard instead. I don't know the exact difference between the two, or if there's really any benefit that the Z68 has over the P67 (I've heard the P67's are better for gaming), but I do know that the Z68 supports integrated graphics, which suck anyways. :P
Last edited by Booshykins ; 08-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Booshykins for this useful post:

Black_Jesus, mman259
08-03-2011, 05:36 PM #6
Will this graphics card work on my mobo.. And u say my mobo is outdated... Will it still work for gaming ?
mman259 is pretty much on the ball. He's suggested a good motherboard and processor, and as long as you have a good airflow from your cooling system, and learn how to do it correctly, overclocking isn't unsafe at all. If you want to save money for buying a case and power supply separately, go with an Intel Core i5 2500K processor. If you're willing to spend the extra $420 (for the processor, case, and power supply), then it's a good way to go.

Better graphics card - You must login or register to view this content.

Hard drive - You must login or register to view this content.

Looking back, the motherboard that you had chosen is a X58, and it's technically outdated. I would recommend a Z68 or P67 motherboard instead. I don't know the exact difference between the two, or if there's really any benefit that the Z68 has over the P67 (I've heard the P67's are better for gaming), but I do know that the Z68 supports integrated graphics, which suck anyways. :P
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM #7
Booshykins
Tech Enthusiast
Will this graphics card work on my mobo.. And u say my mobo is outdated... Will it still work for gaming ?

It'll work for gaming, but for the price the difference in performance between it an a P67/Z68 is a shot in the dark. I'm not familiar with X58 motherboards, and I've always been told that the P67s are the most desirable when it comes to PC gaming.

Looking around online, people say that unless you're going to use SLI and Crossfire, you shouldn't bother with an X58.

Try this motherboard instead - You must login or register to view this content.

And like we've said before, get an Intel Core i5 2500K or an Intel i7 2600K. It's a lot more worth it than any other Intel processor that's under $400.

And pretty much all graphics card work with all motherboards (provided the motherboard is new, and there is a PCIe slot), so you don't really have to worry about that. Smile

Black_Jesus
08-03-2011, 05:52 PM #8
I already changed my processor to the i7 260k .. Is the mobo u linked compatible with everything else I chose? And plz don't give an answer unless u look at everything.. Use been a lot of help thank u

It'll work for gaming, but for the price the difference in performance between it an a P67/Z68 is a shot in the dark. I'm not familiar with X58 motherboards, and I've always been told that the P67s are the most desirable when it comes to PC gaming.

Looking around online, people say that unless you're going to use SLI and Crossfire, you shouldn't bother with an X58.

Try this motherboard instead - You must login or register to view this content.

And like we've said before, get an Intel Core i5 2500K or an Intel i7 2600K. It's a lot more worth it than any other Intel processor that's under $400.

And pretty much all graphics card work with all motherboards (provided the motherboard is new, and there is a PCIe slot), so you don't really have to worry about that. Smile
08-03-2011, 06:06 PM #9
Booshykins
Tech Enthusiast
I already changed my processor to the i7 260k .. Is the mobo u linked compatible with everything else I chose? And plz don't give an answer unless u look at everything.. Use been a lot of help thank u

Yeah, everything is compatible with each other.

Typically the only thing compatibility-wise you'll ever need to worry about is between the processor and the motherboard, and you've already gotten that squared away, so you'll be fine. Building a PC and getting the parts that fit with each other isn't as difficult and mind-numbing as some may think. You're computer will be more than competent enough to play some of the most hardware-stretching games out there, and you should encounter no problems.

Black_Jesus
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM #10
UR awesome bro u took almost $200 of my mobo.. Is there anything gi can do for u in return? I'm thanking all UR posts lol
Yeah, everything is compatible with each other.

Typically the only thing compatibility-wise you'll ever need to worry about is between the processor and the motherboard, and you've already gotten that squared away, so you'll be fine. Building a PC and getting the parts that fit with each other isn't as difficult and mind-numbing as some may think. You're computer will be more than competent enough to play some of the most hardware-stretching games out there, and you should encounter no problems.

The following user thanked Black_Jesus for this useful post:

Booshykins

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo