05-13-2013, 05:47 PM #1
scoootboy688
--Scott--Morris--
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); going to try keep this short so what im looking for is a new pc as currently my laptop if shitty, im thinking of building an amd a10 apu build, but wanted to know what you guys would do, my budget is £300-£450, can probably go to £500 but not yet.

CPU: Im thinking something with the AMD APU Series, unless you guys have better suggestions.
GPU: Not neccessary, i want to build and get this pc as fast as i can, i will have more money in future so i would then add a gpu (Only if i am using amd a6-a10, if not, ill need a gpu)
CPU Cooler: Im wanting to overclock, even just a little.
PSU: Nothing cheap i dont want to fry components, maybe corsair 80+ bronze certified or something
Case: Doesnt have to be all fancy, would like some lighting if possible, if not i can add in future, and preferably a well cooled case
DVD Writer: Just something simple to put the occasional game disc in or cd.
Wi-Fi Card: Nothing too overpriced,a wireless-n adapter should do good(anything cheaper will probably still be fine, or i can always use ethernet cable), internal or external, doesnt matter.
Hard drive: Anything from 500Gb
Monitor: If its in my budget, then go ahead add in a monitor, doesnt need to be big, 18" would do me, doesnt need to be full led hd 3d shit.

This is just me wanting to know what you guys would do, and if you can help me decide on what i should use, aslong as it has some good power and runs well im happy, i can always upgrade in future, hopefully. oh, yeah, make sure the power supply is over 400w incase i do upgrade, or overclock.
If you use links please keep it to websites using £ currency, such as amazon.co.uk instead of .com, thanks Smile
sorry if i missed anything in a rush, will check this later, thanks Happy
forgot to say, ill be wanting to run bf3 as im building this pc so i can switch to pc instead of console gaming, even if the pc runs it on medium with some low things, im sure itll still beat, or match ps3, can always upgrade in future Smile
Last edited by scoootboy688 ; 05-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.
05-13-2013, 07:04 PM #2
As far as I'm aware Virgin only just started rolling out 120Mb/s as a free upgrade to 100Mb/s customers, so I don't know where you got your 500Mb/s figure from. Best check that.

I wouldn't recommend an APU unless your budget is below around £350-400. You've said you can squeeze to £500, so here's what I'd build for £500:

You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content.

CPU: You must login or register to view this content. (£82.39 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: You must login or register to view this content. (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content. (£71.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: You must login or register to view this content. (£44.29 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: You must login or register to view this content. (£37.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: You must login or register to view this content. (£129.60 @ Ebuyer)
Case: You must login or register to view this content. (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: You must login or register to view this content. (£46.41 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: You must login or register to view this content. (£11.66 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £488.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 20:02 BST+0100)

Enough space (just) for a wifi thingy. Save up around £100 more for a monitor - I'm assuming you already have an old monitor or TV or something to use?
05-14-2013, 03:36 PM #3
scoootboy688
--Scott--Morris--
Originally posted by Clutch
As far as I'm aware Virgin only just started rolling out 120Mb/s as a free upgrade to 100Mb/s customers, so I don't know where you got your 500Mb/s figure from. Best check that.

I wouldn't recommend an APU unless your budget is below around £350-400. You've said you can squeeze to £500, so here's what I'd build for £500:

You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content.

CPU: You must login or register to view this content. (£82.39 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: You must login or register to view this content. (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content. (£71.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: You must login or register to view this content. (£44.29 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: You must login or register to view this content. (£37.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: You must login or register to view this content. (£129.60 @ Ebuyer)
Case: You must login or register to view this content. (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: You must login or register to view this content. (£46.41 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: You must login or register to view this content. (£11.66 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £488.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 20:02 BST+0100)

Enough space (just) for a wifi thingy. Save up around £100 more for a monitor - I'm assuming you already have an old monitor or TV or something to use?

Nice, i like it, i was just saying the apu as it had the intergrated graphics and ive seen youtube videos with people playing bf3 with an a10 or one of the apu line, and some videos said they didnt have a graphics card in the description where they had their specs, just thought itd take some price off temporarily till i got more cash for a video card, or got a cheaper one if it already runs bf3 without the card Smile, also yeah i wasnt so sure about my broadband, i get 60 mbps, i must have mixed something up i dont know much about broadband lol, so yeah i edited that out. thanks for the reply might take some of this into mind Smile
05-14-2013, 04:22 PM #4
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by scoootboy688 View Post
i was just saying the apu as it had the intergrated graphics

The iGPU in the A10-5800k is good, but personally I would choose an AM3+ Vishera CPU and that way you have the option to upgrade to Steamroller when it's released later on this year.
05-14-2013, 09:31 PM #5
scoootboy688
--Scott--Morris--
Originally posted by Skyline View Post
The iGPU in the A10-5800k is good, but personally I would choose an AM3+ Vishera CPU and that way you have the option to upgrade to Steamroller when it's released later on this year.

havent really heard of them, ill look into it Happy
05-15-2013, 08:48 AM #6
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
How can you go from something as superior as intel to shovelware amd?
You can build a very solid Intel based system for under $400 american. +$200 for a good GPU like a Evga 660 GTX. If you like playing at high resolutions than the 660TI would be the better choice, but than those are around $300 US.
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM #7
Originally posted by TheQuagmire View Post
You can build a very solid Intel based system for under $400 american. +$200 for a good GPU like a Evga 660 GTX. If you like playing at high resolutions than the 660TI would be the better choice, but than those are around $300 US.

You are the victim (or the success story, dependent on how you look at it) of marketing and brand impressionism.

AMD CPUs provide value for money and are ideal for budget builds. On the other hand, Intel CPUs dominate the high-end market and for good reason.
05-15-2013, 03:08 PM #8
scoootboy688
--Scott--Morris--

what? im just needing a half decent cheap pc to run bf3 or any other good games, im switching from ps3 and im on pretty low budget so im just wanting a decent pc to do games on medium-high settings Smile
05-15-2013, 04:20 PM #9
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Clutch
You are the victim (or the success story, dependent on how you look at it) of marketing and brand impressionism.

AMD CPUs provide value for money and are ideal for budget builds. On the other hand, Intel CPUs dominate the high-end market and for good reason.

Neither. AMD does no such thing when it comes to entry or mid-range budget builds. Especially the power consumption on those chips are always more than Intel, and require beefier PSUs. You want an excellent budget CPU? - i3 3220, couldn't ask for a better chip from intel.

I don't know how you kids build computers these days. It's shocking sometimes.
05-15-2013, 07:28 PM #10
Neither. AMD does no such thing when it comes to entry or mid-range budget builds. Especially the power consumption on those chips are always more than Intel, and require beefier PSUs. You want an excellent budget CPU? - i3 3220, couldn't ask for a better chip from intel.

I don't know how you kids build computers these days. It's shocking sometimes.

Assuming you can spare a few pence more annually on your electricity bill, the difference in TDP and power dissipation under maximum load is negligible. Therefore, price/performance should be the only factor you consider. With that in mind, AMD FX CPUs are good budget solutions that significantly surpass the equivalently priced Intel alternatives in applications that support multithreading, and this is going to become the case with gaming even more-so given that both of the 'next-gen' consoles will be running AMD hardware.

So, as I said before, you're the product of brand impressionism, marketing and all-around ignorance. Good job.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo