05-13-2013, 05:47 PM #1
scoootboy688
--Scott--Morris--
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); going to try keep this short so what im looking for is a new pc as currently my laptop if shitty, im thinking of building an amd a10 apu build, but wanted to know what you guys would do, my budget is £300-£450, can probably go to £500 but not yet.

CPU: Im thinking something with the AMD APU Series, unless you guys have better suggestions.
GPU: Not neccessary, i want to build and get this pc as fast as i can, i will have more money in future so i would then add a gpu (Only if i am using amd a6-a10, if not, ill need a gpu)
CPU Cooler: Im wanting to overclock, even just a little.
PSU: Nothing cheap i dont want to fry components, maybe corsair 80+ bronze certified or something
Case: Doesnt have to be all fancy, would like some lighting if possible, if not i can add in future, and preferably a well cooled case
DVD Writer: Just something simple to put the occasional game disc in or cd.
Wi-Fi Card: Nothing too overpriced,a wireless-n adapter should do good(anything cheaper will probably still be fine, or i can always use ethernet cable), internal or external, doesnt matter.
Hard drive: Anything from 500Gb
Monitor: If its in my budget, then go ahead add in a monitor, doesnt need to be big, 18" would do me, doesnt need to be full led hd 3d shit.

This is just me wanting to know what you guys would do, and if you can help me decide on what i should use, aslong as it has some good power and runs well im happy, i can always upgrade in future, hopefully. oh, yeah, make sure the power supply is over 400w incase i do upgrade, or overclock.
If you use links please keep it to websites using £ currency, such as amazon.co.uk instead of .com, thanks Smile
sorry if i missed anything in a rush, will check this later, thanks Happy
forgot to say, ill be wanting to run bf3 as im building this pc so i can switch to pc instead of console gaming, even if the pc runs it on medium with some low things, im sure itll still beat, or match ps3, can always upgrade in future Smile
Last edited by scoootboy688 ; 05-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM #29
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
Oh I know voltages that's why I don't believe in that 500mhz OC with 3% max voltage increase.
If you really are using a Core i7-3770k, that's overclocked to 4.4ghz. Than its a major lie.
Especially when the stock voltage on a 3770k is around 0.984 volts. So to reach 4.4ghz you would have to have the voltages between 1.185 and 1.250, which is not 3% guy. 21% increase.. ah snap.
Last edited by TheQuagmire ; 05-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
05-17-2013, 04:31 PM #30
Originally posted by Clutch
Currently, games are developed on consoles and then ported down to PC the vast majority of the time. In the instances where this doesn't occur, CPUs which support multithreadsing, whether they're Intel or AMD, tend to see a big improvement in performance if the time was put on that in development.

'Next-gen' consoles are coming within a year, and they'll all be using x86 AMD hardware. This means that due to the consoles being the bottleneck in a scenario where they can start development on any platform, it makes sense to develop for PC and then port to consoles. This will result in less sh*tty ports and more optimization and one of the places where that will show itself will inevitably be multithreading.

With that in mind, unless you can afford a 3770k/4770k, AMD FX CPUs provide superior performance to the equivalently priced Intel alternatives.

No you don't. Intel have positioned themselves as a 'premium' CPU brand through marketing, so unless you want to spend more than £140-160 on your CPU AMD provide better value. If however you wish to exceed that price point like I did, then by all means go Intel. AMD have no competition at the higher end of the scale.

This is the sort of thing that displays your fanboyism - an unbiased person would note that overclocking is dead easy on both Intel (unlocked) & AMD CPUs, but you've only made the case for Intel.

I'm aware of this. My 3770k has 4 physical cores but 8 logical cores.

Benchmarks, please.

Again you're only listing the Intel positives. Here's a fairer overview (up-to £140-160):

AMD - Much better performance in multithreaded applications, cheaper CPUs, cheaper motherboards in terms of socket compatibility.

Intel - Much better single-threaded performance as you said, so this benefits primarily in instances where multithreading isn't utilized. Lower power consumption.

Good job choosing a game that doesn't scale well with multithreading and cores.

PC Part Picker is also telling me that the CPU is £2 more expensive, the motherboard over £15 more expensive and the memory almost £10 more expensive. On-top of that, the total for the above (ignoring the dodgy prices) is actually over £160... With that in mind, here's an equal alternative at significantly cheaper than yours is with actual prices:

You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content.

CPU: You must login or register to view this content. (£83.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content. (£38.54 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: You must login or register to view this content. (£33.92 @ Dabs)
Total: £156.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-16 14:26 BST+0100)

Although if I were suggesting a build for someone I'd probably get an ATX motherboard and 1866MHz memory, the above is equivalent to your build a much cheaper.

reason why amd went with 8 cores you get more performance out of more cores then you do from overclocking ,intel does do single thread better but amd destroys them in anything more then single thread apps , example gaming this is why they keep up with intel in most games more so when the game takes amd's advantage to account,both have their up's in downs but for $100 less and the fact the op wants to only game or use simple desktop tasks why pay premium for a chipset that he will never take advantage of ? makes no sense to me to pay the extra money for fake cores , underclock the amd chip and increase what ever the equivalent of blk is on amd cpus lower temps and power and better performance, and anyone supporting intel you got money to just throw out your ass be my guest and yes i do own a intel cpu so dont say im being a fanboy over one compared to the other
05-17-2013, 04:50 PM #31
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by TheQuagmire View Post
Was I talking about Overclocked CPU's, no I wasn't.
So why Da fuck you bringing up OVERCLOCKed cores... the power cusumpition goes out the door the moment you OC anything. Only idiots would say either AMD or Intel would have better power usage... Stock cores, Intel wins hands down period. You don't OC, you save some money down the road to use on steam sales.:FU:

If you bother to watch the video through then you'll see it deals with both NON-OC'd AND OC'd results!! Jesus take a freakin' chill pill and stop jumping the gun!!
05-17-2013, 05:39 PM #32
Originally posted by TheQuagmire View Post
Oh I know voltages that's why I don't believe in that 500mhz OC with 3% max voltage increase.
If you really are using a Core i7-3770k, that's overclocked to 4.4ghz. Than its a major lie.
Especially when the stock voltage on a 3770k is around 0.984 volts. So to reach 4.4ghz you would have to have the voltages between 1.185 and 1.250, which is not 3% guy. 21% increase.. ah snap.

Ehh, after checking it all I think we're both wrong. I'm going to do some research.
Last edited by Clutch Hunterr ; 05-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
05-17-2013, 09:01 PM #33
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
Regardless, I did re-watched the video, and they did vaguely talk about stock cpu's. The difference was negligible when it came to consumption. I can't entirely agree with the benchmarks though.
Another site I trust with reviews state otherwise. The only major difference they used was a very beefy card like the 690. You must login or register to view this content.
Plus they seemed to clock the cores a bit higher here and there. Still Negligible when I take both reviews together in consideration. I've read over a few sites and they either lead into the amd direction or vise versa. Lots of bias shit going on. I'll just say it than. Either or at this point. both chips seem to do better in different areas. I personally would still go with the intel (not using fanboyism here). At this point its just favoritism on my part because i am just more familiar with the usual voltages and auto shuts down in case of bad seating or cooling failures.

Clutch check cpu-z for the voltage for the OC, it should be under 1.250v. I just think the 21% i got was wrong when I used a percent equation. It's still going to be more than 3% though.
05-17-2013, 09:10 PM #34
-Skyline
Anonymous
At the end of the day, the Intel vs AMD war is never going to die down and there is going to be endless debates on the subject, I don't care either way as I'm most likely going to be building an Intel rig on the side but one thing that I hate is when Intel users slam AMD for the most minuscule things, both CPU's are good, just in different departments from one-another.
05-18-2013, 01:22 PM #35
Yeah, I think my 3% approximation was way off. I'm failing to understand how offset voltages work mathematically - when I overclocked my 3770k I pretty much just followed a guide, went for 4.5GHz and when that was unstable went down to 4.4GHz and left it there. Processors are much trickier to overclock than video cards me thinks.

How would an if I recall correctly +0.005 voltage offset work out?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo