05-13-2013, 05:47 PM #1
scoootboy688
--Scott--Morris--
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); going to try keep this short so what im looking for is a new pc as currently my laptop if shitty, im thinking of building an amd a10 apu build, but wanted to know what you guys would do, my budget is £300-£450, can probably go to £500 but not yet.

CPU: Im thinking something with the AMD APU Series, unless you guys have better suggestions.
GPU: Not neccessary, i want to build and get this pc as fast as i can, i will have more money in future so i would then add a gpu (Only if i am using amd a6-a10, if not, ill need a gpu)
CPU Cooler: Im wanting to overclock, even just a little.
PSU: Nothing cheap i dont want to fry components, maybe corsair 80+ bronze certified or something
Case: Doesnt have to be all fancy, would like some lighting if possible, if not i can add in future, and preferably a well cooled case
DVD Writer: Just something simple to put the occasional game disc in or cd.
Wi-Fi Card: Nothing too overpriced,a wireless-n adapter should do good(anything cheaper will probably still be fine, or i can always use ethernet cable), internal or external, doesnt matter.
Hard drive: Anything from 500Gb
Monitor: If its in my budget, then go ahead add in a monitor, doesnt need to be big, 18" would do me, doesnt need to be full led hd 3d shit.

This is just me wanting to know what you guys would do, and if you can help me decide on what i should use, aslong as it has some good power and runs well im happy, i can always upgrade in future, hopefully. oh, yeah, make sure the power supply is over 400w incase i do upgrade, or overclock.
If you use links please keep it to websites using £ currency, such as amazon.co.uk instead of .com, thanks Smile
sorry if i missed anything in a rush, will check this later, thanks Happy
forgot to say, ill be wanting to run bf3 as im building this pc so i can switch to pc instead of console gaming, even if the pc runs it on medium with some low things, im sure itll still beat, or match ps3, can always upgrade in future Smile
Last edited by scoootboy688 ; 05-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.
05-16-2013, 10:33 PM #20
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by TheQuagmire
AMD FX-6300 VS Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Intel is 10% faster in performance, plus it can handle BF 3 on high settings.

FX-6300 - £90.13 (Amazon UK)
i5-3570k - £171.97 (Amazon UK)

Almost double the price and you're boasting about a 10% improvement? Good job...

AMD FX-8320 VS Intel Core i7-3770K 4-Core 3.5GHz Intel is 16% faster, Handles Arma 3 on High settings right off the bat, damn impressive.

FX-8320 - £120.98 (Amazon UK)
i7-3770k - £251.94 (Amazon UK)

Again, more than double the price and only you're boasting "16%" improvement? Why, why, why...

The intel is better for the gaming aspect, plus you don't need to buy a expensive motherboard to overclock it. Don't know about the AMD if it would require a beefier mobo for the overclock.

You don't, my old Motherboard (ASUS M5A97) which you can pick up for £50 now I could overclock my FX-8120 to 4.1Ghz and my current FX-8350 to 4.7Ghz.

My main concern though. It's been a few years since I've OC'd a AMD proc, but did they ever put in a safety for the overheating CPU? For instance most intels these days when you take the heatsink/waterbrick off, and start the system the motherboard will automatically shutoff when the chip goes past a safe overheating value. I know amd didn't have that back in the day and lots of folks fried their chips when actually doing overclock. They ever fix that?

Oh I don't know, I've never been dumb enough to power on my rig with the water-block not attached... :I
05-16-2013, 10:56 PM #21
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
You really don't know shit man. Especially when you don't know anything about the Auto switch off on CPU's. In case that waterblock of yours fails, you have a fried chip dumbass. That's why when I use water cooling on the Intel mobo's I know it has that safeguard on there, and it works. AMD? Before, and I am not sure right now (hopefully they have it on there now) when that water cooling failed for some reason instead of the motherboard detecting the thermal overheat of the CPU, it would continue until it fried the CPU, and in most cases even the Mobo. That kind of safe guard is why I rely on Intel. You can start a intel based mobo and it won't fry the cpu regardless. Especially if by chance you booted it by accident etc. (people are stupid like that).

Second of all, the 10-16% difference in power is massive. Why? Because each chip has different parameters that do different things. Amd chips seem to do way better in graphics/rendering than intel. Same can be said with single threading and GMA graphics on the Intel.

So the only major difference right now is the price, and AMD wins apparently when it comes to CPU's. Down the line though. I personally feel the intel route will be cheaper than the AMD build. Budget or not once you add everything else a budget intel will still always outperform a amd budget pc.
05-17-2013, 10:59 AM #22
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by TheQuagmire View Post
In case that waterblock of yours fails, you have a fried chip dumbass.

I don't know if AMD have any safety features incorporated into their FX range but in the case of my water-block failing (can't see it happening but I'll just go with it) then a load of warning messages will appear from my Motherboard software and I'll just shut it down before anything is damaged.

Same can be said with single threading and GMA graphics on the Intel.

I agree with you, Intels blow the pants off AMD when it comes to single-threaded performance, but did you really just say Intel GMA graphics was a GOOD thing? Intels integrated graphics SUCK, everyone knows that! AMD blows Intels pants off when it comes to integrated graphics on their APU's!

So the only major difference right now is the price, and AMD wins apparently when it comes to CPU's. Down the line though. I personally feel the intel route will be cheaper than the AMD build. Budget or not once you add everything else a budget intel will still always outperform a amd budget pc.

AMD is the cheaper option, always has been, but the performance difference from an AMD rig and an Intel rig doesn't justify the price difference for similar components.
05-17-2013, 12:54 PM #23
Well when I got my computer it was £426 and I got it in September.. it has now gone down to £334..
these are the specs for it. and for that price you can't really go wrong

AMD BULLDOZER, QUAD CORE 3.60Ghz, 1GB ATI HIGH DEFINITION 6450 GRAPHICS CARD HDMI, 1TB HARD DRIVE, 8GB OF DDR3 RAM, GAMING COMPUTER

This is the perfect Desktop Computer for anyone looking for a low-cost but high performance, Quad-Core Gaming Computer.
If you are producing Spreadsheets, surfing the web, streaming media or playing your favourite games then this computer with its 3.6ghz QUAD CORE Bulldozer FX 4100 CPU is the one for you.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

CPU : VERY FAST AMD BULLDOZER X4 4100 AM3 3.6 GHZ CPU

RAM : 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM

HARD DRIVE : 1000GB SATA

GRAPHICS CARD : 1GB ATI RADEON HD 6450 HDMI

OPTICAL DRIVE : DVD-RW

WIRELESS WIFI READY : 150MPS USB DONGLE

The only bad thing is that you have to buy the operating system seperatly.. but you can custom build them too

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Originally posted by benjaminge
Well when I got my computer it was £426 and I got it in September.. it has now gone down to £334..

AMD BULLDOZER, QUAD CORE 3.60Ghz, 1GB ATI HIGH DEFINITION 6450 GRAPHICS CARD HDMI, 1TB HARD DRIVE, 8GB OF DDR3 RAM, GAMING COMPUTER

This is the perfect Desktop Computer for anyone looking for a low-cost but high performance, Quad-Core Gaming Computer.
If you are producing Spreadsheets, surfing the web, streaming media or playing your favourite games then this computer with its 3.6ghz QUAD CORE Bulldozer FX 4100 CPU is the one for you.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

The only bad thing is that you have to buy the operating system seperatly.. but you can custom build them too

forgot too say.. heres the link too them just incase.. they are good with custom builds too Smile
You must login or register to view this content.
05-17-2013, 01:40 PM #24

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

forgot too say.. heres the link too them just incase.. they are good with custom builds too Smile

You can build better than that for ~£400.
05-17-2013, 02:25 PM #25
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Skyline View Post
I don't know if AMD have any safety features incorporated into their FX range but in the case of my water-block failing (can't see it happening but I'll just go with it) then a load of warning messages will appear from my Motherboard software and I'll just shut it down before anything is damaged.

Unless you are wide awake, it will fry the chip under 10 seconds flat. You leave the system over night running? Well good bye motherboard too. I close my eyes I still remember the pictures of peoples beloved cases... not a pretty sight.

I agree with you, Intels blow the pants off AMD when it comes to single-threaded performance, but did you really just say Intel GMA graphics was a GOOD thing? Intels integrated graphics SUCK, everyone knows that! AMD blows Intels pants off when it comes to integrated graphics on their APU's!

Actually, not everyone knows like you think you do. In fact Intel APU's have gotten much better these last few years. Especially when you bring into power consumition.. annihilates amd in serious ways, but its still not something you want to use since gpu's are so much better.

AMD is the cheaper option, always has been, but the performance difference from an AMD rig and an Intel rig doesn't justify the price difference for similar components.

Ah, but down the line a Intel rig will save you so much more money down the road. I actually understand the price inflation now. The Intel chips are going green. the 22nm chips on idle only consume 30 watts... 30watts! I don't know if you actually pay the electic bills, but on a grandscale... man thats some savings down the road.
Sure you pay less first, but when you a bunch of amd's in the house.. lol well thats going to be a good +100$ a month electric bill right there.
If you're living with your parents than you wouldn't care about these kind of things though. But me? lol 20-30$ off one bill each month is damn good.
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM #26
-Skyline
Anonymous
and for that price you can't really go wrong

Those parts, separately, equate to about £280.

Plus whatever idiot put that up for sale and labelled it a "gaming computer" has a mental illness, you cannot run hardly anything nearly up-to-date on even low-medium settings without the resolution all the way down and no effects enabled on the HD 6450...

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

In fact Intel APU's have gotten much better these last few years. Especially when you bring into power consumition.. annihilates amd in serious ways

The Intel GMA's ARE getting better, but still not as good as AMD's integrated graphics.

but its still not something you want to use since gpu's are so much better.

Then why did you bring up Intel GMA's? :I

Ah, but down the line a Intel rig will save you so much more money down the road. I actually understand the price inflation now. The Intel chips are going green. the 22nm chips on idle only consume 30 watts... 30watts! I don't know if you actually pay the electic bills, but on a grandscale... man thats some savings down the road.

05-17-2013, 02:54 PM #27
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter

Then why did you bring up Intel GMA's? :I

You must be crazy :FU:

Was I talking about Overclocked CPU's, no I wasn't.
So why Da fuck you bringing up OVERCLOCKed cores... the power cusumpition goes out the door the moment you OC anything. Only idiots would say either AMD or Intel would have better power usage... Stock cores, Intel wins hands down period. You don't OC, you save some money down the road to use on steam sales.:FU:
05-17-2013, 03:13 PM #28
Quagmire, have you ever heard of voltages? You don't have to boost power consumption much at all if you don't want to. For about a 3% max voltage increase I got a rather conservative 500MHz overclock out of my chip.

Also, as I keep saying, the difference on your electricity bill would be negligible.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo