06-04-2013, 01:50 AM #1
ClutchNastii671
★ Eat Clen Tren Hard ★
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Didn't know where to put this thread so mods go ahead and move it if you need to Upside Down Happy

I'm looking to get new a laptop for school, but don't know which one to get. lol so any help would be appreciated :kiss:

• Price should be under $500
  • No mini's

Thinking about getting this one:
HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (on sale for 499.99)

No mac books... I'm not a hipster trying to show off
Last edited by ClutchNastii671 ; 06-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.
06-04-2013, 06:31 AM #11
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Toke View Post
You must login or register to view this content. even though i would recomend building a desktop as well they last longer and are higher quality that is a great laptop

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

run far away from that dell

i had a inspiron when they first came out with the colored lids, when dells where good and it was bad it started to randomly shutoff and i replaced it after 2 years

Ah, I can see. Meh, issues like that is something I've heard with every company.

I won't be getting my laptop until I have the cash or am right there at the edge of having it. I'm trying to break about 400$ this month which would put me over what I need for a computer. Then I'll probably start my real searching and will most likely buy in late July or early August.

(Basically, that's when the deals hit.)
06-04-2013, 06:35 AM #12
ClutchNastii671
★ Eat Clen Tren Hard ★
Originally posted by Pichu View Post
Ah, I can see. Meh, issues like that is something I've heard with every company.

I won't be getting my laptop until I have the cash or am right there at the edge of having it. I'm trying to break about 400$ this month which would put me over what I need for a computer. Then I'll probably start my real searching and will most likely buy in late July or early August.

dem back to school deals Smile

The following user thanked ClutchNastii671 for this useful post:

Pichu
06-04-2013, 06:36 AM #13
Toke
PC Master Race

i'd build a desktop as if u want a power u can get a i7 build with 8 or even 16gb of ram for like $600 easy and get a cheap laptop for school
06-04-2013, 07:19 AM #14
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
Don't listen to Toke. The guy doesn't know much about computer parts. You might end up buying a lemon.

The following user thanked TheQuagmire for this useful post:

ClutchNastii671
06-04-2013, 07:56 AM #15
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
You must login or register to view this content. even though i would recomend building a desktop as well they last longer and are higher quality that is a great laptop

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

run far away from that dell

i'd build a desktop as if u want a power u can get a i7 build with 8 or even 16gb of ram for like $600 easy and get a cheap laptop for school

Lol, 600$ easy, fucking bullshit.

A good i5 build is in the neighborhood of 600$. A good i7 desktop build is 900-1500$. 32, 16, 8gb of ram makes a huge difference. Your graphics card as well. Cool, you go with a graphics card that is DDR3 for 100$ cheaper, well I will go for a GDDR5 graphics card for a bit extra and will smoke your graphics card.

Just because a graphics card says, 2gb doesn't make it good. You also have to consider the speed of the ram you are getting, your disk drive speeds (5,400 or 7,200).

The laptop build I want will still smoke a i5 desktop computer in power and speed. The downside to a laptop is power supply, I have to plug it in or else the battery will die. Laptops now are starting to match desktops in terms of speed and power. The only real difference between them is the ability to cool down your unit and the fact that a desktop must be plugged directly into a power source while laptops have mobility.

The laptop I showed will play games at the highest of details with no issues, the only problem though is a matter of how much battery life do I get before I need to charge it.

Listen, if you fall prey to the whole i5 build is good bullshit, please understand; most of these i5 builds are designed to overclock and ruin the components after 3-4 years of use. By then, most of these guys go out and buy newer parts and new builds for the same cost.

They just released not the long ago, i7 4th generation. It's a bit faster than the 3rd generation and holds up better. AMD has their 8 core. You have to look at how your cache holds up, how good is your processor, etc.

600$ will buy you a good computer, 1,000 will buy a very good computer that, if taken care of, will last.
06-04-2013, 07:27 PM #16
TheQuagmire
Bounty hunter
Hard drive disk speeds don't mean a lot. It's actual read/write speeds of the hard drives that matter the most, and most of the time you won't notice a major difference in loading time from 5400-7200, even 10,000. If the read/write speed is slow it doesn't matter how fast the discs spin. That's why SSD's are very popular because of their good read/write speeds.

Ram past 8GB doesn't have a significant boost to FPS either, and having ram faster than 1600mhz is a complete waste for gaming.
You won't notice a massive fps change from going from 8GB to 32GB. You just end up spending more money on something that isn't going to give you an extra boost of fps for gaming.

$600 for a gaming computer? Eh I don't think so. Even with a AMD processor for a budget build. With all the parts you could be looking at $800 minimum.

A pretty solid build is around $1000, and anything more just goes towards a better video card, ssd etc.

That dell laptop you showed earlier was garbage. Only stupid people buy dells for office work. Smart tech people always stay clear of dell anything. Just open one up and see how easy it is to replace simple things like ram. Has to be Dell certified ram GL with that.
I actually just purchased a Asus G75VX on saturday (arrives tomorrow). That is a laptop that will run most games on high/ultra with no issues at 1900x1080.
Last edited by TheQuagmire ; 06-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.
06-04-2013, 07:59 PM #17
Toke
PC Master Race

A good i5 build is in the neighborhood of 600$. A good i7 desktop build is 900-1500$. 32, 16, 8gb of ram makes a huge difference. Your graphics card as well. Cool, you go with a graphics card that is DDR3 for 100$ cheaper, well I will go for a GDDR5 graphics card for a bit extra and will smoke your graphics card.

Just because a graphics card says, 2gb doesn't make it good. You also have to consider the speed of the ram you are getting, your disk drive speeds (5,400 or 7,200).

The laptop build I want will still smoke a i5 desktop computer in power and speed. The downside to a laptop is power supply, I have to plug it in or else the battery will die. Laptops now are starting to match desktops in terms of speed and power. The only real difference between them is the ability to cool down your unit and the fact that a desktop must be plugged directly into a power source while laptops have mobility.

The laptop I showed will play games at the highest of details with no issues, the only problem though is a matter of how much battery life do I get before I need to charge it.

Listen, if you fall prey to the whole i5 build is good bullshit, please understand; most of these i5 builds are designed to overclock and ruin the components after 3-4 years of use. By then, most of these guys go out and buy newer parts and new builds for the same cost.

They just released not the long ago, i7 4th generation. It's a bit faster than the 3rd generation and holds up better. AMD has their 8 core. You have to look at how your cache holds up, how good is your processor, etc.

600$ will buy you a good computer, 1,000 will buy a very good computer that, if taken care of, will last.

You must login or register to view this content. its not a gaming pc its a work bench and a i5 desktop is stronger than a laptop i7 and overclocking is safe if you do it right
06-04-2013, 08:28 PM #18
Millz
Worth the Weight

He means without a graphics card or a very cheap one just to have it. You don't need anything over HD 3000 or HD 4000 to use a computer for school work/light gaming. Hell HD 4000 on my Macbook Air can handle LoL fine.

If you want a super chepo 500 ish rig, here you go You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by Millz ; 06-04-2013 at 08:33 PM.
06-04-2013, 08:41 PM #19
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Millz View Post
He means without a graphics card or a very cheap one just to have it. You don't need anything over HD 3000 or HD 4000 to use a computer for school work/light gaming. Hell HD 4000 on my Macbook Air can handle LoL fine.

If you want a super chepo 500 ish rig, here you go You must login or register to view this content.

overpriced case, get a bitfenix merc and get that 150 haswell i5 u showed me
Last edited by Millz ; 06-04-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo