01-13-2012, 12:01 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); i have a fat ps3. I have taken it apart and re-flowed it then added arctic silver 5 and reassembled it. Then i plugged it all up and i still get a yellow light of death. Can someone please tell me what u think the problem is.
01-14-2012, 05:03 AM #11
Originally posted by Hikaru
I had a phat PS3 that went YLOD, and I kept fixing using the hairdryer method, but then I decided to try the thermal paste method, but then when I assembled everything together, it wouldn't work at all. :argh: and then I tried it again to no avail, anybody have the same problem, or it just me?

doesnt the hairdryer method just keep melting on the plastic on it...or ruin the whole motherboard? thats what i was told idk if thats right tho
01-14-2012, 07:49 AM #12
Originally posted by fluffyTHEnutsak View Post
doesnt the hairdryer method just keep melting on the plastic on it...or ruin the whole motherboard? thats what i was told idk if thats right tho

Well the back of the phat Ps3 is melted out of proportion, so yes that is true, but concerning the motherboard, I've never heard about that...
01-14-2012, 07:53 AM #13
You're ****in screwed, just kill yourself now.
01-14-2012, 09:19 PM #14
Originally posted by Hikaru
Well the back of the phat Ps3 is melted out of proportion, so yes that is true, but concerning the motherboard, I've never heard about that...

ok, thanx bro i didnt really know what the hairdryer thing did but i was just saying what i have been told b4
01-14-2012, 09:26 PM #15
Big Poppa Bren
Treasure hunter
when you say you are reflowing are you just heating the cpu/gpu up? a reflow means to renew solder joints. flux is needed (liquid flux) everytime you heat the system up you are burning away the flux that was original to the solder (leaving the solder dull and brittle). and a hairdryer? i aint surprised it wont work, all that you are doing is melting fan channels etc.

you need to use liquid flux, it will link into the solder when heated. and DONT SPREAD YOUR THERMAL PASTE just put a blob in the center of the cpu/gpu, the heatsink will compress and spread with no air bubbles!

The following user thanked Big Poppa Bren for this useful post:

fluffyTHEnutsak
01-14-2012, 09:39 PM #16
The guy above took it right out of my mouth :L or keyboard... :FU:
01-14-2012, 09:42 PM #17
Originally posted by Big
when you say you are reflowing are you just heating the cpu/gpu up? a reflow means to renew solder joints. flux is needed (liquid flux) everytime you heat the system up you are burning away the flux that was original to the solder (leaving the solder dull and brittle). and a hairdryer? i aint surprised it wont work, all that you are doing is melting fan channels etc.

you need to use liquid flux, it will link into the solder when heated. and DONT SPREAD YOUR THERMAL PASTE just put a blob in the center of the cpu/gpu, the heatsink will compress and spread with no air bubbles!

i have never personally used a hair dryer on my ps3 cuz i was afraid i could ruin it...but i have heated it up and spread the thermal paste and is it to late now or can i go back and try it again?
01-14-2012, 10:23 PM #18
Big Poppa Bren
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by fluffyTHEnutsak View Post
i have never personally used a hair dryer on my ps3 cuz i was afraid i could ruin it...but i have heated it up and spread the thermal paste and is it to late now or can i go back and try it again?

just start over, take your time and use liquid flux and a heat gun, its still crude but effective. rotate the heat, dont concentrate on just heating up the metal heatspreaders up as there is thermal paste beneath them also. but that is the area you need to heat. leave the rest of the board alone, just rotate the heat around the spreaders, as if to direct it underneath (the flux will bubble, this is a good sign) and dont heat up for to long, 30-50 seconds on rotation on each spreader should be more than enough)
Last edited by Big Poppa Bren ; 01-14-2012 at 10:26 PM.
01-14-2012, 10:27 PM #19
Originally posted by Big
just start over, take your time and use liquid flux and a heat gun, its still crude but effective. rotate the heat, dont concentrate on just heating up the metal heatspreaders up as there is thermal paste beneath them also. (but that is the area you need to heat. leave the rest of the board alone.

ok once again thank you, i dont think i have any liquid flux....is that gonna be a problem or will it still work with out it?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo