Post: CTurt has allegedly jailbroken on the Playstation 4
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM #1
Specter
Pro Memer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Update:

Please refer to You must login or register to view this content. for more on this subject

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In advance, thanks to Red-EyeX32 for pointing this out in a Skype conversation. I'd also like to clarify that since PS4 was built off FreeBSD, the sandboxes are called "jails", so jailbreaking is the correct term.

At about 9:28AM EST, CTurt has claimed that he has managed to break the webkit process out of a FreeBSD "jail" (or sandbox). For those who don't know, jailbreaking was coined as you were "breaking out of a jail" or sandbox that an application is in, as if an application is sandboxed and you gain remote code execution, the damage is contained within that jail (very similar to sandboxie which is used here to check programs for Remote Access Trojans).

Now this hasn't been confirmed however CTurt is a known, trusted source of information and has already released some tools such as the PS4 Playground Tools and his open source PS4 SDK. He's also stated within the last hour or so that he has managed to dump RAM from process such as "SceShellUI". This is a huge step forward towards the possibility of custom firmware for the Playstation 4. Below are snapshots of the tweets of his announcement of the You must login or register to view this content. as well as the You must login or register to view this content..

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

Now there's still much to be done, including lots of reversing and other exploring to do, however as I've said it's a big step. This only works on firmwares 1.76 or lower, but that doesn't mean indefinitely that there won't be more exploits in the coming future for higher firmwares.
Last edited by Frosty ; 02-16-2016 at 09:31 PM.

The following 56 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

Jiggy, /SneakerStreet/, 1291-_-MoDz, 2much4u, AlexNGU, amjed, Andyiglesias1, Basic_Code, Red-EyeX32, Chop, chuck54321, Dan Dactyl, DawidB, dawoodk786, Devious, DexTeamFTW, DMAAR-7777, DPO23, EncepT, Frosty, Grezinn, H-A-X-O, Tears, Helping-Hand, InfinityPlanets, Jimmy, Johan0131, Kam, kareltjie, Kryptus, LaughTracks, LostSoulSiskel, Meega HD, Monster-Energy, NickBeHaxing, Not Rage, Darth Saul, .EXE, Adrian, RF0oDxM0Dz, Kronos, Jon Snow, TEXAS24_ReStEr, upgradetoday, vicious_results, Vondy Supreme, wajdi9, xDebugKiller, XM7MD_VX, Xx-GIPPI-xX, XxBlud23xX, xXx-.-Moder, zAutoAiiM_
12-13-2015, 06:20 AM #20
It's a breakthrough right now but who knows how it'll turn it. Some games may get ruined online while some get enchanced (spoofing RNG in Destiny).
12-13-2015, 07:57 AM #21
Slick
Anxiety
Black Ops 3 aimbot KappaRoss
12-13-2015, 08:53 AM #22
dwi_745$$$
Climbing up the ladder
I just wanna mod nba2k16 vc and I'm happy or Mt, I'll buy a 1.76 ps3 on eBay no probs there.
12-13-2015, 09:44 AM #23
wajdi9
Space Ninja
im ready baby Smile
12-13-2015, 10:26 AM #24
Alt
Banned
Originally posted by SC58 View Post
why??

wait all you play is cod and gtav? cause thats the only game people will once go for again if anything happens, pc is same way

plus more then likly this guy will puss out once sony try to do something :/

I don't play GTA and I hardly play CoD.
12-13-2015, 10:28 AM #25
Alt
Banned
Originally posted by Vince
Exactly why they are gone. He is just posting info, who cares if you don't like if it is indeed "jailbroken". Could be huge for the site in terms of driving users to the site looking for ps4 modding material :p

Take NGU out of it and just focus on gaming. I rather play legit with people who enjoy gaming as well. I've done the whole jailbroken console thing when 3.55 first came out, after a while it got VERY boring.
12-13-2015, 02:18 PM #26
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by Alt View Post
Take NGU out of it and just focus on gaming. I rather play legit with people who enjoy gaming as well. I've done the whole jailbroken console thing when 3.55 first came out, after a while it got VERY boring.

You have to think most of those who actually really care about jailbreaking and are passionate about it (this was the case in PS3 as well until game modding became a big thing),care about homebrew and development. You can learn a lot off it, tinker, experiment, develop your own things, similar to that of an iPhone jailbreak. So I'm on both sides of the fence, I want to play my games legit as well, but homebrew on the PS4 would be really interesting, and would allow people to get creative with their own software and games.

The following 3 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

2much4u, Kam, vicious_results
12-13-2015, 03:14 PM #27
Jon Snow
Di DonDadda
Originally posted by Spec
In advance, thanks to Red-EyeX32 for pointing this out in a Skype conversation. I'd also like to clarify that since PS4 was built off FreeBSD, the sandboxes are called "jails", so jailbreaking is the correct term.

At about 9:28AM EST, CTurt has claimed that he has managed to break the webkit process out of a FreeBSD "jail" (or sandbox). For those who don't know, jailbreaking was coined as you were "breaking out of a jail" or sandbox that an application is in, as if an application is sandboxed and you gain remote code execution, the damage is contained within that jail (very similar to sandboxie which is used here to check programs for Remote Access Trojans).

Now this hasn't been confirmed however CTurt is a known, trusted source of information and has already released some tools such as the PS4 Playground Tools and his open source PS4 SDK. He's also stated within the last hour or so that he has managed to dump RAM from process such as "SceShellUI". This is a huge step forward towards the possibility of custom firmware for the Playstation 4. Below are snapshots of the tweets of his announcement of the You must login or register to view this content. as well as the You must login or register to view this content..

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

Now there's still much to be done, including lots of reversing and other exploring to do, however as I've said it's a big step. This only works on firmwares 1.76 or lower, but that doesn't mean indefinitely that there won't be more exploits in the coming future for higher firmwares.

haha its crazy how we was talking about this in the shoutbox the other day
12-13-2015, 03:49 PM #28
Alt
Banned
Originally posted by Spec
You have to think most of those who actually really care about jailbreaking and are passionate about it (this was the case in PS3 as well until game modding became a big thing),care about homebrew and development. You can learn a lot off it, tinker, experiment, develop your own things, similar to that of an iPhone jailbreak. So I'm on both sides of the fence, I want to play my games legit as well, but homebrew on the PS4 would be really interesting, and would allow people to get creative with their own software and games.

Agree with you that. Im jailbroken on my iPhone, I like the freedom of removing stuff I don't like etc. I fully understand people want to dev with a jailbroken device but its the people who use a jailbroken console to mess everyone else fun.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo