Post: CTurt has allegedly jailbroken on the Playstation 4
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM #1
Specter
Pro Memer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Update:

Please refer to You must login or register to view this content. for more on this subject

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In advance, thanks to Red-EyeX32 for pointing this out in a Skype conversation. I'd also like to clarify that since PS4 was built off FreeBSD, the sandboxes are called "jails", so jailbreaking is the correct term.

At about 9:28AM EST, CTurt has claimed that he has managed to break the webkit process out of a FreeBSD "jail" (or sandbox). For those who don't know, jailbreaking was coined as you were "breaking out of a jail" or sandbox that an application is in, as if an application is sandboxed and you gain remote code execution, the damage is contained within that jail (very similar to sandboxie which is used here to check programs for Remote Access Trojans).

Now this hasn't been confirmed however CTurt is a known, trusted source of information and has already released some tools such as the PS4 Playground Tools and his open source PS4 SDK. He's also stated within the last hour or so that he has managed to dump RAM from process such as "SceShellUI". This is a huge step forward towards the possibility of custom firmware for the Playstation 4. Below are snapshots of the tweets of his announcement of the You must login or register to view this content. as well as the You must login or register to view this content..

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

Now there's still much to be done, including lots of reversing and other exploring to do, however as I've said it's a big step. This only works on firmwares 1.76 or lower, but that doesn't mean indefinitely that there won't be more exploits in the coming future for higher firmwares.
Last edited by Frosty ; 02-16-2016 at 09:31 PM.

The following 56 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

Jiggy, /SneakerStreet/, 1291-_-MoDz, 2much4u, AlexNGU, amjed, Andyiglesias1, Basic_Code, Red-EyeX32, Chop, chuck54321, Dan Dactyl, DawidB, dawoodk786, Devious, DexTeamFTW, DMAAR-7777, DPO23, EncepT, Frosty, Grezinn, H-A-X-O, Tears, Helping-Hand, InfinityPlanets, Jimmy, Johan0131, Kam, kareltjie, Kryptus, LaughTracks, LostSoulSiskel, Meega HD, Monster-Energy, NickBeHaxing, Not Rage, Darth Saul, .EXE, Adrian, RF0oDxM0Dz, Kronos, Jon Snow, TEXAS24_ReStEr, upgradetoday, vicious_results, Vondy Supreme, wajdi9, xDebugKiller, XM7MD_VX, Xx-GIPPI-xX, XxBlud23xX, xXx-.-Moder, zAutoAiiM_
01-06-2016, 06:11 PM #74
For fuck sakes stop spilling the exact details of the development of a possible custom firmware. I understand this guy might be respected but he seriously needs to keep his mouth shut until the firmware is released to the public. Now Sony can implement a possible patch further decreasing chances of any possible jb for the ps4.
01-06-2016, 06:17 PM #75
Originally posted by pcfreak30 View Post
This is a very good first step, but its likely 6 months to a year of reverse engineering work to get anything like a CFW or anything for pirates. However firmware hackers are apparently forcing the community to have their own exploit to not allow piracy (fail0verflow) and just putting in an alternate OS to make it a powerful linux box.

So give the guy a pat on the back, but don't expect free games or a COD mod menu any time soon...

It's disappointing to here that. If someone makes a cfw for the PS4 I mean it's obviously not going to be perceived in a positive manner by Sony or most people. We are already voiding the warranty and if a spoofer is created people will start modding games. So who gives a fuck about piracy. Modders (such as myself 😝Winky Winky will fuck up the game as far as the developer is concerned anyway. So I really do not see piracy being a problem it's a vital aspect to the success of any firmware.
01-06-2016, 08:52 PM #76
Punished Snake
Do a barrel roll!
Yay now i can mod
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
01-08-2016, 03:47 PM #77
Originally posted by OGConsoleModz View Post
For fuck sakes stop spilling the exact details of the development of a possible custom firmware. I understand this guy might be respected but he seriously needs to keep his mouth shut until the firmware is released to the public. Now Sony can implement a possible patch further decreasing chances of any possible jb for the ps4.

It's already been patched on firmware 2.00+
01-08-2016, 06:35 PM #78
Is there any way we can downgrade the ps4 like the ps3 with a e3 nor flasher or something like that. I mean why isn't this as easy ? Whats holding that back?
01-08-2016, 09:20 PM #79
Specter
Pro Memer

As stated by Red, the vulnerability was patched anyway :p

It's disappointing to here that. If someone makes a cfw for the PS4 I mean it's obviously not going to be perceived in a positive manner by Sony or most people. We are already voiding the warranty and if a spoofer is created people will start modding games. So who gives a fuck about piracy. Modders (such as myself ******************) will fuck up the game as far as the developer is concerned anyway. So I really do not see piracy being a problem it's a vital aspect to the success of any firmware.

Piracy might not seem like a big issue especially because you think "oh well pirating one copy is no biggie these companies make tons of money", but what you fail to understand is piracy hurts the entire market, everyone. More piracy = higher prices, and we're already seeing a bunch of things in video games such as cut content being sold as DLC, higher priced DLC and season passes, these stupid micro-transactions which they seem to be able to squeeze every last penny out of people, can you imagine how much worse this will get if piracy becomes a mass issue on PS4? I don't even want to attempt to imagine it.

Originally posted by Andyiglesias1 View Post
Is there any way we can downgrade the ps4 like the ps3 with a e3 nor flasher or something like that. I mean why isn't this as easy ? Whats holding that back?

It's completely different, it's a different console. Not to mention the architecture and such is completely different, not saying it's completely impossible but it would be a while.
Last edited by Specter ; 01-08-2016 at 09:22 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

Andyiglesias1, Crunk
01-09-2016, 12:27 AM #80
Originally posted by Specter View Post

Piracy might not seem like a big issue especially because you think "oh well pirating one copy is no biggie these companies make tons of money", but what you fail to understand is piracy hurts the entire market, everyone. More piracy = higher prices, and we're already seeing a bunch of things in video games such as cut content being sold as DLC, higher priced DLC and season passes, these stupid micro-transactions which they seem to be able to squeeze every last penny out of people, can you imagine how much worse this will get if piracy becomes a mass issue on PS4? I don't even want to attempt to imagine it.

It's completely different, it's a different console. Not to mention the architecture and such is completely different, not saying it's completely impossible but it would be a while.

The NOR itself is encrypted.
01-11-2016, 05:09 PM #81
Originally posted by Specter View Post

I see what you mean. Kind of changed my mind on this whole matter but I know for a fact if custom firmware is released someone will add a feature or just make it possible to pirate games. But you see if you want to mod the game you are hurting the market equally as much as if you torrent the game. And I'm sure only a small group of people would be able to access the firmware then on PS3 where a 6 year old can.
01-13-2016, 09:35 PM #82
EB-_-MoDz
Bounty hunter
just give it another 2 years and it will feel like ps3

The following user thanked EB-_-MoDz for this useful post:

AirSoftModz

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo