Post: CTurt has allegedly jailbroken on the Playstation 4
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM #1
Specter
Pro Memer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Update:

Please refer to You must login or register to view this content. for more on this subject

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In advance, thanks to Red-EyeX32 for pointing this out in a Skype conversation. I'd also like to clarify that since PS4 was built off FreeBSD, the sandboxes are called "jails", so jailbreaking is the correct term.

At about 9:28AM EST, CTurt has claimed that he has managed to break the webkit process out of a FreeBSD "jail" (or sandbox). For those who don't know, jailbreaking was coined as you were "breaking out of a jail" or sandbox that an application is in, as if an application is sandboxed and you gain remote code execution, the damage is contained within that jail (very similar to sandboxie which is used here to check programs for Remote Access Trojans).

Now this hasn't been confirmed however CTurt is a known, trusted source of information and has already released some tools such as the PS4 Playground Tools and his open source PS4 SDK. He's also stated within the last hour or so that he has managed to dump RAM from process such as "SceShellUI". This is a huge step forward towards the possibility of custom firmware for the Playstation 4. Below are snapshots of the tweets of his announcement of the You must login or register to view this content. as well as the You must login or register to view this content..

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

Now there's still much to be done, including lots of reversing and other exploring to do, however as I've said it's a big step. This only works on firmwares 1.76 or lower, but that doesn't mean indefinitely that there won't be more exploits in the coming future for higher firmwares.
Last edited by Frosty ; 02-16-2016 at 09:31 PM.

The following 56 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

Jiggy, /SneakerStreet/, 1291-_-MoDz, 2much4u, AlexNGU, amjed, Andyiglesias1, Basic_Code, Red-EyeX32, Chop, chuck54321, Dan Dactyl, DawidB, dawoodk786, Devious, DexTeamFTW, DMAAR-7777, DPO23, EncepT, Frosty, Grezinn, H-A-X-O, Tears, Helping-Hand, InfinityPlanets, Jimmy, Johan0131, Kam, kareltjie, Kryptus, LaughTracks, LostSoulSiskel, Meega HD, Monster-Energy, NickBeHaxing, Not Rage, Darth Saul, .EXE, Adrian, RF0oDxM0Dz, Kronos, Jon Snow, TEXAS24_ReStEr, upgradetoday, vicious_results, Vondy Supreme, wajdi9, xDebugKiller, XM7MD_VX, Xx-GIPPI-xX, XxBlud23xX, xXx-.-Moder, zAutoAiiM_
12-13-2015, 04:38 PM #29
:duck: we are going to ruin online game Geo Never forgot Socom for life, fuck you sony You must login or register to view this content. . if you not happy then go on pc . oh wait its worst on pc You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by NaziARMYSPY/ ; 12-13-2015 at 05:08 PM.
12-13-2015, 04:48 PM #30
lol funny
12-13-2015, 07:29 PM #31
XxBlud23xX
< ^ > < ^ >
Don't worry guys Smile modding won't happen for a while. There is much to do before we can even call this a safe and legit jailbreak or CFW
12-14-2015, 02:40 AM #32
Kronoaxis
You talkin to me?
This is pretty interesting news. For those who were clinging onto false hopes that hoped this wouldn't happen, it would happen regardless. There are just two different types of people. Those who like and enjoy software development and/or coding, and those who do not. That's just always how it's gonna be.

I understand that this will soon lead to an actual working Custom Firmware which will allow PS4 users to do things a PS3 on Custom Firmware can already currently do. (Change IDPS, create and run plug-ins such as SPRX, exploit the GPR within the game (memory), and so on) However, all I can say is that at least there won't be such a substantial amount of that when or (if) it's released to public. As of now, I literally can't go a day on my PS3 without seeing a modder in a GTAV lobby lol.
12-14-2015, 09:49 AM #33
iTruceFret
[move]From now on, call me DRAGON.[/move]
Sony will pay him money to shut the fuck up, or sue him because they're stupid. Most children won't do this because their systems are all up to date.
12-14-2015, 09:59 AM #34
xDebugKiller
Climbing up the ladder
meh i wish he did it for the later update then the first one.
12-14-2015, 10:20 AM #35
Helping-Hand
Cake is a lie
Originally posted by xDebugKiller View Post
meh i wish he did it for the later update then the first one.

It doesn't mean just because it's only on 1.76 as of now it won't be available for newer updates... also, the most recent updates blocked the Kernal Exploit as well. However, there is still much more to do...
12-14-2015, 10:56 AM #36
this means nothing when sony "jails" this guy ..
12-14-2015, 02:54 PM #37
eizey3
Gym leader
New Life For The Modding Scene Ey

You must login or register to view this content.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo