05-22-2013, 01:35 AM #1
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So with the new Xbox One being announced today, there was one bit of news that crossed gamers that Second Hand games will come with a fee to play on an Second Account!

At first gamers thought this would be some sort of EA online pass or similar scheme, but once the event was over a press team was able to question the Microsoft team there and dig deeper on this subject. It turns out the person to buy the game Pre-Owned/Second Hand will have to pay Full Price, Yes I said Full Price you did read that correct.

So not are you only paying for the game from the store but you are then also paying full price for the game to give to Microsoft!

Questions were also raised that this would then also cause issues when taking the game to a friends house! But Major Nelson on twitter answered that as long as you download your profile to there Xbox you will be able to play the game on there console but only on your account!

Major Nelson blog post: You must login or register to view this content.

Report on Pre-Owned Price: You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by Jakeyy ; 05-22-2013 at 05:58 PM.
05-22-2013, 05:46 AM #11
Say goodbye to GameStop and other stores that rely on the sale of Used Games. :(
05-22-2013, 07:56 AM #12
xLew--
Former Staff
Overnight there was considerable confusion, backtracking and badly managed PR from Microsoft, fresh after revealing its brand new You must login or register to view this content. console. The main source of confusion revolved around whether or not you could lend or sell on Xbox One game disks, something glossed over until after the show, when Microsoft execs were let loose among the press.

Whilst Sony’s carefully managed, carefully selected post-show resulted in a little vagueness, it was nothing compared to the hugely negative PR Microsoft attracted last night.

But the facts seem to be that you can trade-in Xbox One games, but there’s a price to pay for whoever picks up that game, and that price appears to be the full price of the game. Yep, whilst it’s technically possible to sell on your bought games, chances are there won’t be a retailer out there that’ll let you, because nobody will buy them off them.

Here’s how it works, from what I can gather.

When you buy a game for the Xbox One, you’ll need to install it. This is a requirement, and there’s no getting around it. If you then play the game with the disk in, all will be fine. If you want to play the game without the disk in, the console will ping Xbox Live and ensure that you’re the registered owner. It’ll do this You must login or register to view this content., as a minimum.

The game will play on that registered console for any user of that console, locally.

If you then lend or sell on that game, or take it around to a friends’ house, only your profile will be allowed to play on it. It’ll run (with the disk in, of course) and you (and only you) can play it. If anyone else wants to play it, they’ll need to pay a fee which – according to Phil Harrison – is You must login or register to view this content.. Once that fee is paid, everyone on the console can use it, as before.

That twenty-four hour thing works back the other way too, with Xbox Live constantly checking which console you’re logging into to ensure that the licenses are always up to date. Basically it seems that if you have the disk and you’re the one supposed to be using it you can use that disk anywhere, but you’ll need to ensure that the original console is also connected to Live on a regular basis (with your credentials) or you’ll get locked out after a day.
This obviously stops you lending a game to someone and them signing out of Live to play it indefinitely – after 24 hours it simply won’t work: they either pay the full fee or it just locks.

Is that right? I think so.

You must login or register to view this content.

----

Seem logical right? my friends a avid xbox fan and he rarely buys new, this will be a huge kick in the balls for him. i wonder what will come from this other than microsoft and devs getting fat pockets.

companies like GAME, CEX etc will be hit hard as they thrive on preowned games!
05-22-2013, 12:33 PM #13
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
Originally posted by Kidd
1) No used games...
2) Can only be used on one profile (so I'm assuming my brothers have to use my account to play it)

All I have to say for the diehard M$ fans is bend over and have a lot of lube ready.. Kind of sucks they have to play it that way...

Something else that has been said recently any account that is on the console will be able to play those games, so its going to be like gamesharing DLC on PS3!

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Originally posted by JP View Post
This is a stupid thing and just a plea to make more money. I'm more interested in what the Xbox Live Gold subscription cost will go up by if it does if their implementing prices like this. Fucking ridiculous, you might as well buy the game new.

Cost won't go up just like it didn't from the Original Xbox to the 360, They have already said that accounts will work on both Systems Smile

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Originally posted by Hondarydr View Post
Say goodbye to GameStop and other stores that rely on the sale of Used Games. :(

My thoughts exactly when I heard of this, They are going to have to sell the pre-owned game dirt cheap unless they have a way to get new codes from Microsoft cheaper :think:
05-22-2013, 03:58 PM #14
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by Jake View Post
So with the new Xbox One being announced today, there was one bit of news that crossed gamers that Second Hand games will come with a fee to play on an Second Account!

At first gamers thought this would be some sort of EA online pass or similar scheme, but once the event was over a press team was able to question the Microsoft team there and dig deeper on this subject. It turns out the person to buy the game Pre-Owned/Second Hand will have to pay Full Price, Yes I said Full Price you did read that correct.

So not are you only paying for the game from the store but you are then also paying full price for the game to give to Microsoft!

Questions were also raised that this would then also cause issues when taking the game to a friends house! But Major Nelson on twitter answered that as long as you download your profile to there Xbox you will be able to play the game on there console but only on your account!

Major Nelson blog post: You must login or register to view this content.

Hope to god that not true......thanks going to add it to my post Smile
New question one console doing it does that mean sony going to follow ?
05-22-2013, 03:59 PM #15
Kidd Cold
**** my Toaster !~!
Originally posted by Jake View Post
Something else that has been said recently any account that is on the console will be able to play those games, so its going to be like gamesharing DLC on PS3!

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Cost won't go up just like it didn't from the Original Xbox to the 360, They have already said that accounts will work on both Systems Smile

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

My thoughts exactly when I heard of this, They are going to have to sell the pre-owned game dirt cheap unless they have a way to get new codes from Microsoft cheaper :think:

Okay so things aren't as bad then... But, still give us at-least one game share... I hate the route Sony took; from 5 active accounts to 2.
05-22-2013, 04:02 PM #16
socia
Gym leader
Originally posted by JP View Post
you might as well buy the game new.

thats the whole point
05-22-2013, 04:08 PM #17
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
Hope to god that not true......thanks going to add it to my post Smile
New question one console doing it does that mean sony going to follow ?

I will try and find the post about the Full Price Smile

More news about this came around this morning, something about they have a trading system that they don't want to talk so much about until E3, so we could see a system where it will completely remove the game from our account and pass it on to someone else!
05-22-2013, 04:16 PM #18
I want to see my friends face when I tell them becuase they always borrow games from each other.
05-22-2013, 04:17 PM #19
socia
Gym leader
Originally posted by Hondarydr View Post
Say goodbye to Game-Stop and other stores that rely on the sale of Used Games.

im pretty sure M$ and friends have worked out some kind of behind the scenes deal with used games being bought at game-stop. there's probably going to be some kind of bar code on the disc that game stop will scan and send to M$ then it will give that disc a clean slate to install once you log it into M$ servers or Xbox live etc...
if prices stay the same as new discs then there isn't a point to this madness, so my guess is used games bought through game stop would stay about the same with game-stop losing some money in the exchange and M$ gaining a little like they do in new purchases. but if you borrow a game from a friend or receive a used game for free then you would have to purchase a pass at or near full price.
this is my guess but its the closest thing to a business point of view ive seen.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo