09-07-2015, 07:50 PM #1
Harry12345789
Former Writer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I decided against a PC build a couple years ago and now I want to build one... Are either of these builds any good?

You must login or register to view this content.

Also any updates/changes would be awesome Smile Not sure on the PSU in all fairness... I don't know what to pick :p.

The following user thanked Harry12345789 for this useful post:

Passion
09-20-2015, 04:36 PM #65
Harry12345789
Former Writer
Originally posted by Dr
u need a bigger 750w power supply then

already ordered my psu :fa:
09-20-2015, 04:41 PM #66
Harry12345789
Former Writer
Originally posted by Dr

Dis is cheaper on here too

09-20-2015, 07:16 PM #67
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Harry View Post
-snip-

There was really no point in getting a i5-4690 or a Z97 motherboard. i5-4690 has no noticeable performance difference over the i5-4460, so you paid ÂŁ20 extra for nothing. If anything, you should've gotten a H97 board. No point in getting Z97 for a locked processor.

As for your GPU situation, I'd recommend the R9 390 over the GTX 970. They perform the same, but the R9 390 has 8GB of VRAM whereas the GTX 970 has 4GB (3.5GB runs at full speed).

Originally posted by Dr

750W is not required for R9 390. You can run single GPU rigs on 500-600W.
09-20-2015, 07:57 PM #68
Harry12345789
Former Writer
Originally posted by Rawr View Post
There was really no point in getting a i5-4690 or a Z97 motherboard. i5-4690 has no noticeable performance difference over the i5-4460, so you paid ÂŁ20 extra for nothing. If anything, you should've gotten a H97 board. No point in getting Z97 for a locked processor.

As for your GPU situation, I'd recommend the R9 390 over the GTX 970. They perform the same, but the R9 390 has 8GB of VRAM whereas the GTX 970 has 4GB (3.5GB runs at full speed).

not purchased my cpu yet and I noticed i had the wrong one in the build.. I actually wanted to have this CPU - You must login or register to view this content.

Also what GPU am I going for :confused:
09-20-2015, 09:18 PM #69
Toke
PC Master Race

it pulls a little over 300 max so a 750w is a good to have a little bit of headroom especally if he would overlock etc
09-21-2015, 05:00 AM #70
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Harry View Post
not purchased my cpu yet and I noticed i had the wrong one in the build.. I actually wanted to have this CPU - You must login or register to view this content.

Also what GPU am I going for :confused:

Do you plan on overclocking? For some reason, I thought you said you weren't planning to overclock, but I went back through the thread and noticed you didn't mention anything about overclocking.

If overclocking, I would try to get a better motherboard. The Z97 Anniversary board from ASRock is a low-tier board. Don't try pushing your CPU to its limits. I'd only recommend a small overclock if you stick with this motherboard. You should've mentioned that you were going to get an unlocked CPU so I could've recommend a better motherboard for overclocking. You're also going to need to purchase an aftermarket cooler; I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. If you're going to use the stock cooler, don't even bother overclocking your CPU. It's going to overheat and you could possibly kill your CPU.

If not overclocking, there's no point in getting the i5-4690K. Stick with the i5-4460 and a H81/B85/H97 motherboard. Since you're not overclocking, you don't need to purchase an aftermarket cooler either, so that'll save you some money there.

The GPU you choose is completely up to you. Like I stated in my previous post, the GTX 970 and R9 390 perform similarly. The biggest difference is that the GTX 970 has 4GB of VRAM (only 3.5GB runs at full speed) and the R9 390 has 8GB of VRAM (all 8GB runs at full speed). The extra 4GB of VRAM won't necessarily boost your FPS, but the more VRAM you have, the better. VRAM is used to store all the data that is displayed on your monitor. The more monitors you have/the higher the resolution, the more VRAM you will want. Things like high res textures and anti-aliasing will turn a simple image into a complex one; more complex images will require more VRAM. The more VRAM you have, the more your GPU can render. If you ever exceed the amount of available VRAM, it will start using your system's RAM, which you DO NOT want. RAM is A LOT slower than VRAM. It will have a large impact on your FPS and stuttering will increase significantly.
09-21-2015, 08:08 AM #71
Harry12345789
Former Writer
Do you plan on overclocking? For some reason, I thought you said you weren't planning to overclock, but I went back through the thread and noticed you didn't mention anything about overclocking.

If overclocking, I would try to get a better motherboard. The Z97 Anniversary board from ASRock is a low-tier board. Don't try pushing your CPU to its limits. I'd only recommend a small overclock if you stick with this motherboard. You should've mentioned that you were going to get an unlocked CPU so I could've recommend a better motherboard for overclocking. You're also going to need to purchase an aftermarket cooler; I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. If you're going to use the stock cooler, don't even bother overclocking your CPU. It's going to overheat and you could possibly kill your CPU.

If not overclocking, there's no point in getting the i5-4690K. Stick with the i5-4460 and a H81/B85/H97 motherboard. Since you're not overclocking, you don't need to purchase an aftermarket cooler either, so that'll save you some money there.

The GPU you choose is completely up to you. Like I stated in my previous post, the GTX 970 and R9 390 perform similarly. The biggest difference is that the GTX 970 has 4GB of VRAM (only 3.5GB runs at full speed) and the R9 390 has 8GB of VRAM (all 8GB runs at full speed). The extra 4GB of VRAM won't necessarily boost your FPS, but the more VRAM you have, the better. VRAM is used to store all the data that is displayed on your monitor. The more monitors you have/the higher the resolution, the more VRAM you will want. Things like high res textures and anti-aliasing will turn a simple image into a complex one; more complex images will require more VRAM. The more VRAM you have, the more your GPU can render. If you ever exceed the amount of available VRAM, it will start using your system's RAM, which you DO NOT want. RAM is A LOT slower than VRAM. It will have a large impact on your FPS and stuttering will increase significantly.

I planned on Overclocking, but not for a while... Until I've got a cooler for my CPU. However like I mentioned to Toke, if I feel the PC performs well then I potentially won't bother with the OC. If I get this CPU, then I have the option to upgrade and overclock at a later date Smile.. I presume if need be, I could always upgrade the motherboard if I wanted to go for a powerful OC?

I've been told the difference isn't noticeable between the 2 GPU's although in my head I just feel that the 8GB VRAM would be better... I presume it's like regular RAM? About 8GB will be great for a lot of things! I just feel that 4GB wouldn't be too great and I'd like the bigger card due to the option of overclocking that in the future (due to the 2 fans, I think you mentioned this means I have the ability to OC it, due to the better cooling?)

But yeah, CPU/MOBO etc I'm happy with for now.. They'll do for now and hopefully for a while.

I'd rather buy the 4690K CPU now and have the option to OC in the future, rather than need a new CPU when looking to OC.

Cheers @Rawr :p.
09-22-2015, 12:25 PM #72
Harry12345789
Former Writer
My RAM turned up today, expecting a couple more parts this week!Smile
09-24-2015, 10:32 AM #73
Harry12345789
Former Writer
My case arrived last night :p

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo