02-23-2013, 02:45 PM #1
Default Avatar
Mewtwo
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Something I have been questioning since the Sony Event is will PSN start costing money on the PS4? Sony and the PS3 have built a very good customer relationship due to PSN being accessible for free for all users and this is a feature that has set theirselves apart from Microsoft and its Xbox. However, with Sony buying Gaikai for $380 million and giving users a world record cloud based gaming service do you think PSN will cost this time around? Would you still buy the PS4 if PSN started costing money or would you feel like Sony has turned its loyalty on users for extra money?

The following 2 users say thank you to Mewtwo for this useful post:

Immaculate., oOMW2Oo
03-24-2013, 02:46 PM #47
solvodan
Do a barrel roll!
I´ll hope playing in PSN is still free on PS4.
03-24-2013, 07:19 PM #48
no, online gaming will remain free on psn. definatley from all the time Sony pointing the finger at Microsoft for charging for it. Sony couldn't do a u-turn and end up defending it... very bad indeeed lol.. i'm sure they acutally made a promise that online gaming will remain free forever when they were launching ps3 and the network. the only way they could get out of it is if they said "well.., yeah PS4 is an entirely different console so were gonna charge you now" lol.. but i highly doubt it.

Voice Chat is going to be free still, and they have added a feature for communicating for free through smartphones, through the PS Network, not entirely sure how that works, like if you need to leave PS4 on while doing so, but for sure there will be an app lol

PS+ will remain a subscription service, and i hope they don't introduce all that Silver/Gold/Elite membership nonsense as someone mentioned lol... keep it as it is, only option should b if you want it quarterly or yearly as it is now. And i'm hoping you can buy it alone instead of it coming in the Gaikai cloud gaming package as that looks as if it's going to be quite pricey.

Here's a couple of Rumours

PS4's PSN - will b called Playstation World

The name was chosen to unite all the products in the company and give off an impression that they all have a common goal. The rumour is that the PlayStation 4 will have a free online network, much like the PS3, but there will also be a paid service which encompasses sharing and PS Plus.

The service will cost $89, and here are the features. This is a rumour for now until Sony officially announces the service at the PS Meeting 2013 where they are expected to reveal the PS4.

Free:

- Online free as the current Playstation Network
- Voice chat between all PlayStation certified devices, ie consoles and smartphones

Payment: (annual cost of about $ 89.)

- Playstation Plus (included with these services previously have) enhanced new proposals, users PS4
- Access to Gaikai for cloud-gaming with the option to play for free to list some of the titles in a month, while others pay
- Share photos and / or videos directly to YouTube
- More space for saved games in the cloud
Last edited by KipLaird ; 03-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.
03-24-2013, 07:52 PM #49
jhawk1989
Pokemon Trainer
I'm almost certain that party chat won't be a PS+ thing. The only reason that the PS3 didn't have party chat was because of lack of RAM, which the PS4 will have plenty of. It was merely a hardware issue, not a matter of money.
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM #50
do you guys remember when those hackers took down the system like 2 years..
if they charged it would for a good idea
better security , etc..
my opinion
-Julien
03-25-2013, 04:07 PM #51
Neo_Angelo
Raiding Girls Panties
i'd personally think they will keep it free as they get a lot of revenue from adverts in Home and with Ps+, also with the Ps4 they will probably make it so that there are more games available for download and gradually phase out the blu ray disc for games. That way sony would get a lot of profit from the Ps store as all games will be available in downloadable form only and force users to pay that bit extra for downloadable games.

If you look at prices currently, a new game comes out and on disc its £38, whens its on the PS store is more likely £44-50 (good example was Fifa 13 being on disc for £42 and on the store for £50). However i do hope that if they DO decide to phase out discs then the downloads become cheaper as its not costing anything to download and they would have infinite stock as its digital. the only thing i'd be worried about is playing the game round your friends who has not got that game (i suppose this is where Gaikai comes in).
Last edited by Neo_Angelo ; 03-26-2013 at 07:13 PM.
03-25-2013, 06:53 PM #52
Hopefully we dont have to pay.. but not our call....
03-25-2013, 10:00 PM #53
Agent_LSD
Vault dweller
Honestly, the comment about better security if it was paid for is quite naive. M$ had the xbox service hacked too and they were also down for quite some time. The Sony hack was an inside job as well btw. Someone on the inside got shafted and set them up to fail. Then of course it was even worse because they didn't use a best practices security implementation.

I'm sure Sony will keep the same structure they have now. It serves them well to keep it free. PS+ is a good way for them to add extra revenue and bring in those who are willing to have cloud based game saves and such, but the primary reason I game on the PS3 is BECAUSE PSN doesn't cost you anything. I mean seriously what does a paid for service add to end user experience? The only way I can see a paid service being a plus is if they would force 3rd party developers to use dedicated servers ala BF3. But then of course that would be a developer/publisher call not a Sony call anyway.
Last edited by Agent_LSD ; 04-15-2013 at 05:35 PM.
03-25-2013, 11:27 PM #54
Default Avatar
breakit
If I would have to pay for it I wouldn't use it!!!!!
03-26-2013, 02:47 AM #55
xMuz
Bounty hunter
i hope it will be free.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo